It was a good run, before the merge.

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Speakeasy

Pros

Speak was a great place to work -- I have made good friends and invaluable networking contacts. Best thing WAS the excellent caliber of technical folks in the rank and file.

Cons

(OK, I *always* hated the cheap-o IKEA desks lined up in bullpen style. I almost turned down the job for that alone.)

However, the real problem is the merge. In 2010 a three-way merge took place between Covad, Megapath, and Speakeasy. Speakeasy no longer exists, in spirit or any other way. The engineering team is gutted and has been since late summer. Customer service is no longer a priority. I don't know what is, exactly, other than giant bonuses for the C-level teams.

I don't believe they're hiring right now but the bottom line is, if you have a chance to work there? PASS.

If you're ever in a merge again? Don't do it this way.

Other Reviews for Speakeasy

A good place to work to develop your career

Current Employee - Director  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Speakeasy

Pros

As a smaller company, less than 500 employees, Speakeasy allows great opportunity to make your contributions to the company really count. You are given challenging assignments and projects while being allowed enough room to learn and grow. In a short period of time, you will soon get to meet and work with all of the key players within the organization. The senior leadership team is approachable and listens to the feedback given.

Cons

Speakeasy's pay is on the lower end of the scale for comparable titles in the management ranks, but fair to average for individual contributors.

Make sure that all decisions take into account all employees, as well as, the revenue bottom line. Take more time to communicate to the team in either the company intranet or a regular news letter.

A good place to work for a couple of years

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Speakeasy

Pros

Speakeasy is a machine that turns smart people into talented people. After a year or two you will likely be far more advanced at your skill set.

Cons

It's very hard to get promotions and salary increases at Speakeasy. You really need to play hard ball (preferably when you get in) in order to get any kind of a raise. As a result, many of the highly talented staff have been leaving.

Focus more on development of culture and creating a fun atmosphere. Also try to outline a clear path that indicates how to get promoted.

There are newer employer reviews for Speakeasy.

Worked for Speakeasy? Contribute to the Community!