DC Contract Attorney

Current Contractor - Contract Attorney in Washington, DC
Current Contractor - Contract Attorney in Washington, DC

I have been working at Special Counsel as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot of work, long term projects, and overtime.

Cons

You can go through periods where you hear nothing. Projects can end abruptly. There is no growth potential.

Other Employee Reviews for Special Counsel

Long-term employee

Former Employee - Middle-Management
    Former Employee - Middle-Management

I worked at Special Counsel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Special Counsel is a good company overall, and one comprised mostly of good people. I thoroughly enjoyed my tenure of many years as an on-staff, middle-management employee. The resources & tools provided are absolutely outstanding - surely better than in some other similar companies - and the company is quite generous when it comes to not minding spending the money to ensure we had proper representation at the appropriate events, for promotional items, client visits, and so forth. For it's size, it is also pretty amazing how close many of the personnel across the country feel toward one another. Very little negative competitiveness - only genuine happiness for each others success, which is very rare in any industry, and absolutely wonderful to have such a positive environment among co-workers.

Cons

My personal opinion after being there so many years is that there has simply become too much emphasis on administrative-type functions and on determining how & why we do the job via much unnecessary reporting, and less focus on the nuts & bolts of WHAT we do. By far my strongest productivity occurred when I was essentially left alone to do the recruiting, placement and business development functions of the job and simply get it done, and had less reporting, training, meetings, phone calls with upper management, etc. - the list seemed to never end. All is presented in a genuine manner of wanting to aid the field personnel in doing their best for the benefit of all, but took away too much productive time to be effective, instead, becoming increasingly counterproductive in the process as time went on and various misc. non-productive functions were continually added. This is a common complaint that has been discussed very regularly among field personnel for years, but one few feel comfortable admitting to upper management out of concern for rocking the boat or being viewed as a complainer.

Advice to Management

Reduce non-productive functions and let the sales & placement results speak more for themselves until the results are not what are desired.

2. Enjoyed working in my office, but not as a part of Special Counsel.

Former Employee - Legal Search Specialist
    Former Employee - Legal Search Specialist

I worked at Special Counsel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed the people I worked with in my office for the most part but no real pros for the company overall.

Cons

Very corporate setting and mindset. Feel like you're just another number working there. Didn't feel like I received the training I needed to succeed as a recruiter nor did I really know what my goals were. Was told by management weekly to just "do better" with no real training on how.

Advice to Management

Training programs and clear goals and what they mean.