Great employer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Special Counsel

Pros

great atmosphere, people, interaction between branches

Cons

levels of management, training program could improve

Advice to Management

great job

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Very Supportive and Professional

Current Employee - Contract Attorney in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Contract Attorney in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Special Counsel

Pros

I've had nothing but a positive experience with Special Counsel. Even though I required a position that allowed telecommuting (positions which are very hard to find), the staff at Special Counsel continued to diligently pursue work for me. They have been extremely supportive and professional, and I highly recommend them to anyone looking for contract work.

Cons

Money at a contract position is simply not going to be as high as working for a firm, but that is true anywhere, so this really isn't a complaint against Special Counsel. It's just the way contract work goes. Those complaining that they don't make over $50 per hour at a contract job are being unrealistic, in my view. Considering we're in a recession (and that law schools are pumping out new lawyers by the bucket-load), I'm simply happy to be working with a company that treats its employees like human beings.

Advice to Management

Thanks very much to the New Orleans office for making my experience with Special Counsel run so smoothly- it has been much appreciated.

Special Counsel Helps in Difficult Job Market

Current Employee - Attorney Over 25 Years in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Attorney Over 25 Years in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Special Counsel

Pros

For an unemployed atty in my shoes, Special Counsel works dilligently to try to find me a permanent position at a good firm, but also looks out for and has successfully obtained temporary contract positions, which while not the ideal, is certainly better than nothing. SC's representative, at least here in New Orleans, is very professional and shows genuine interest in helping me find work.

Cons

I don't really see any downsides to working with SC, other than the obvious fact that it would be preferable to be in a position in which you do not need there sercices.

Advice to Management

Allow local SC reps to, in appropriate cases, encourage actual lawyers, as opposed to office administrators or recruiting coordinators, look closely at a candidate's actual work product, as a reflection of the lawyer's talent & ability, as opposed to law school class ranking.