Specialty's Cafe & Bakery

There are newer employer reviews for Specialty's Cafe & Bakery

Nice Place To Start Your Career

Current Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good starting pay for all positions, Working Mon-Fri every week, A good sense of family with the team at the cafe's and threw out the comp, Feeling of ownership of my own cafe, Amazing career building tools you learn, Great opportunities to move up with the comp. Compared to some concepts out there there is great culture with Specialtys.

Cons

Training Program has seemed to disappear over the 2 years I have been here, Only training program in place is to use old training checklist made 2-3 years ago, and to rely on having to ask people that know how to do something in order to learn it. Some feedback I have heard is that it seems like we are thrown in without preparation and having to figure it all out on our own.

Coming from a training background I would love to see a fresh new Training Program with new ideas and tactics for training of new hires to allow a smooth transition for our new staff of all levels.

67 Other Employee Reviews for Specialty's Cafe & Bakery (View Most Recent)

Double check your job descriptions, more is always required.

Former Employee - Kitchen Team in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Kitchen Team in Seattle, WA

I worked at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Steady-ish hours, most stores evenings and weekends off. Pay starts somewhat better than minimum wage. Good when needing a job, new to working, or are new to the area. Positive and upbeat owners who you can actually talk to.

Cons

A severe case of micromanagement, managers not thoroughly trained, and unrealistic labor expectations. It is constantly changing, near to the point that compared to 8 years ago, behind those registers and counters it is not the same positive and upbeat job I remember. Extremely high turnover rate, for both managers and team members. Aside from some minor prep work and making their own pastries and breads fresh every day, it's turned into another fast food place.

Given the food service industry in the city and how shallow the pool of experienced help is something must be done to relieve the stress placed on management and labor. Get back to the basics that made Specialties a great place to work. Make it a place where people can once again say they were proud to work for when they move on. I mean, there are enough former employees out there to touch near every corner of the industry here, from Coke distributors, Red Robin Managers, down to Starbucks baristas. They all speak to their friends in this city, with the ones I met having near nothing positive to say of their experience. It is quite literally poisoning the well of labor to draw from locally, especially in a city that has a current unemployment rate less than 5%.

Good job if you're new to the city

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery

Pros

Decent pay, delicious food, sometimes room for extra training.

Cons

High manager turnover rate, things change so constantly it's frustrating to keep up.

Give manager more than two months to get the hang of things. I've seen some of the worst managers I've ever encountered in my life stay at Specialty's the longest, and some of the best get fired within two months. It's terrible, and very hard on the employees who are trying hard to keep up with all the changes.

There are newer employer reviews for Specialty's Cafe & Bakery