Specialty's Cafe & Bakery

Favoritism and backstabbing abundant

Former Employee - Kichen Worker  in  Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Kichen Worker in Chicago, IL

I worked at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Downtown location
- Higher than average base pay
- Weekends off

Cons

- Understaffed
- Confidential employee info shared with unauthorized employees
- Favoritism
- "Cult" mentality
- Condescending attitude of MGMT
- Lack of hours
- Sexual harassment
- High turnover rate
- Spoiled product
- Low quality ingredients and cooking procedures
- Retaliation for reporting harassment.

This list can go on and on. Specialty's is one of the worst jobs I've ever had. Don't be fooled by the reviews from management on here; this job is too good to be true. When they say it is a demanding job, it is not because the work is demanding, but that management is all about the bottom line, and has cut hours and staff in order to have a larger profit. Thus,putting more work on the employees and having them get it done in the same amount of time, for the same amount of pay. It is demanding because management chooses to make it demanding, but there is no reason for it.

This company is losing it's customer base and profit in the Chicago area due to understaffing and lack of quality product. Like the other reviewers have said, people would rather go somewhere else than wait in line for fifteen minutes to order, then another fifteen to actually get their food that isn't even good enough to back up the insane price.

The uniform you wear is a ruse. A chef's hat and chef's pants that are used by culinary schools in the area to give off an illusion of professionalism. No one is a chef there and the most cooking done is in a microwave.

Unless you like being yelled at every five minutes for trivial things and given contradictory orders from management, while receiving substandard hours and making about $8.20/ hr after taxes, don't work here.

You're trying to be something that you're not. It's just a sandwich shop and corporate fastfood cafeteria, but you're trying to come off as a four star restaurant. Quit dreaming, open your eyes, and start treating your employees better before you lose your entire experienced staff.

63 Other Employee Reviews for Specialty's Cafe & Bakery (View Most Recent)

I would not recommend this place to anyone that I know

Former Employee - Kitchen Team  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Kitchen Team in Chicago, IL

I worked at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery part-time for less than a year

Pros

weekends off, starting pay above min. wage but it is pointless when your hours get cut from 35 a week to 18 because the place is mismanaged and losing customers to the local competition.

Cons

you are not told before getting hired that you would have to walk miles to other restaurants to pick up products and deliver catering orders.employess are treated like crap by management.no respect or appreciation is shown,morale is very low.

Management need People Training. Labor $ should not be put before customers.Most of the shifts are understaffed and customers are going to other restaurants where the staffing is better and the service is quicker.

Nice Place To Start Your Career

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good starting pay for all positions, Working Mon-Fri every week, A good sense of family with the team at the cafe's and threw out the comp, Feeling of ownership of my own cafe, Amazing career building tools you learn, Great opportunities to move up with the comp. Compared to some concepts out there there is great culture with Specialtys.

Cons

Training Program has seemed to disappear over the 2 years I have been here, Only training program in place is to use old training checklist made 2-3 years ago, and to rely on having to ask people that know how to do something in order to learn it. Some feedback I have heard is that it seems like we are thrown in without preparation and having to figure it all out on our own.

Coming from a training background I would love to see a fresh new Training Program with new ideas and tactics for training of new hires to allow a smooth transition for our new staff of all levels.

There are newer employer reviews for Specialty's Cafe & Bakery

Worked for Specialty's Cafe & Bakery? Contribute to the Community!