Favoritism and backstabbing abundant

Former Employee - Kichen Worker in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Kichen Worker in Chicago, IL

I worked at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Downtown location - Higher than average base pay - Weekends off

Cons

- Understaffed - Confidential employee info shared with unauthorized employees - Favoritism - "Cult" mentality - Condescending attitude of MGMT - Lack of hours - Sexual harassment - High turnover rate - Spoiled product - Low quality ingredients and cooking procedures - Retaliation for reporting harassment. This list can go on and on. Specialty's is one of the worst jobs I've ever had. Don't be fooled by the reviews from management on here; this job is too good to be true. When they say it is a demanding job, it is not because the work is demanding, but that management is all about the bottom line, and has cut hours and staff in order to have a larger profit. Thus,putting more work on the employees and having them get it done in the same amount of time, for the same amount of pay. It is demanding because management chooses to make it demanding, but there is no reason for it. This company is losing it's customer base and profit in the Chicago area due to understaffing and lack of quality product. Like the other reviewers have said, people would rather go somewhere else than wait in line for fifteen minutes to order, then another fifteen to actually get their food that isn't even good enough to back up the insane price. The uniform you wear is a ruse. A chef's hat and chef's pants that are used by culinary schools in the area to give off an illusion of professionalism. No one is a chef there and the most cooking done is in a microwave. Unless you like being yelled at every five minutes for trivial things and given contradictory orders from management, while receiving substandard hours and making about $8.20/ hr after taxes, don't work here.

Advice to Management

You're trying to be something that you're not. It's just a sandwich shop and corporate fastfood cafeteria, but you're trying to come off as a four star restaurant. Quit dreaming, open your eyes, and start treating your employees better before you lose your entire experienced staff.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Nice Place To Start Your Career

Current Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good starting pay for all positions, Working Mon-Fri every week, A good sense of family with the team at the cafe's and threw out the comp, Feeling of ownership of my own cafe, Amazing career building tools you learn, Great opportunities to move up with the comp. Compared to some concepts out there there is great culture with Specialtys.

Cons

Training Program has seemed to disappear over the 2 years I have been here, Only training program in place is to use old training checklist made 2-3 years ago, and to rely on having to ask people that know how to do something in order to learn it. Some feedback I have heard is that it seems like we are thrown in without preparation and having to figure it all out on our own.

Advice to Management

Coming from a training background I would love to see a fresh new Training Program with new ideas and tactics for training of new hires to allow a smooth transition for our new staff of all levels.

Double check your job descriptions, more is always required.

Former Employee - Kitchen Team in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Kitchen Team in Seattle, WA

I worked at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady-ish hours, most stores evenings and weekends off. Pay starts somewhat better than minimum wage. Good when needing a job, new to working, or are new to the area. Positive and upbeat owners who you can actually talk to.

Cons

A severe case of micromanagement, managers not thoroughly trained, and unrealistic labor expectations. It is constantly changing, near to the point that compared to 8 years ago, behind those registers and counters it is not the same positive and upbeat job I remember. Extremely high turnover rate, for both managers and team members. Aside from some minor prep work and making their own pastries and breads fresh every day, it's turned into another fast food place.

Advice to Management

Given the food service industry in the city and how shallow the pool of experienced help is something must be done to relieve the stress placed on management and labor. Get back to the basics that made Specialties a great place to work. Make it a place where people can once again say they were proud to work for when they move on. I mean, there are enough former employees out there to touch near every corner of the industry here, from Coke distributors, Red Robin Managers, down to Starbucks baristas. They all speak to their friends in this city, with the ones I met having near nothing positive to say of their experience. It is quite literally poisoning the well of labor to draw from locally, especially in a city that has a current unemployment rate less than 5%.