Specialty's Cafe & Bakery

www.specialtys.com

Stay Away

Cafe Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsStrong chance of a M-F schedule, which is hard to find in the restaurant industry. The food quality is phenomenal. This is a made from scratch bakery, and they are very well known for their freshness and especially their amazing cookies. As a customer, this place is awesome. They pride themselves on being both a restaurant and a technology company, and I will say that they have been very successful at both. It is just a shame that the point of view is completely different on the other side of the counter.

ConsCompensation for managers start out at $16/hr which sounds nice, but there is no bonus potential until you reach Area GM level, and even then, it is hard to obtain. They pile on the expectation, with little to no support. Day usually starts at 5:30am and you are lucky to get out before 6pm on most days. The stress levels are very high, and the upper management uses fear as a means to motivate. I wouldn't wish this company on anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people. Stop using fear and intimidation to attempt to motivate. Simplify your processes, and start taking care of your employees. I literally watched the evolution of an external hire Area Manager go from a positive, encouraging and highly looked upon leader to a stressed out, visually unhappy and demeaning person in a matter of months. This person came from a much larger role, so it wasn't the workload that turned her this way...it was the culture. Things need to change.

I've had excellent leadership, mentor ship, and growth opportunities.

I have been working at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery

Pros: Wide open growth potential. This company is headed in the right… Cons: The company is in a period of transition and while things are… Advice to Senior Management: Keep doing what you're doing! More

Well-paid position that unfortunately suffers from a lack of soul within this corporate monolith.

Walking Delivery (Current Employee)

I have been working at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: - Delivery positions get paid well, especially compared to the other positions. - Minimal supervision when… Cons: - Very corporate, no different from a Subway after years of standardization. A palpable lack of soul in a wasteland of mass production. I suppose… More
There are newer reviews on Specialty's Cafe & Bakery.

Worked for Specialty's Cafe & Bakery? Contribute to the Community!