Specialty's Cafe & Bakery

www.specialtys.com
  www.specialtys.com
There are newer employer reviews for Specialty's Cafe & Bakery

I wouldn't recommend this place to people I know even though I love their food.

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Customer Service in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery part-time for less than a year

Pros

I love their food and I can't think of any other good reason.

Cons

They give a schedule and showed up to work and they cut your hours and send you home early or change your schedule without having the courtesy of calling you to let you know they change your starting time. They hire just about anybody to manage the place even if they can barely speak English and uneducated. The last manager I had was so annoying with an irritating voice and trying to catch you in the smallest mistake you make to get in your case and get you in trouble and eventually fired you. Make sure they'll put you to work in the position that you applied for because I applied for a customer service position and they put me to work in production in the back when I clearly applied for a front customer service position.

Managers need more training in treating all the employees fairly and stop playing favors and not to use their position just to fire people and give more and better hours to your buddies.

62 Other Employee Reviews for Specialty's Cafe & Bakery (View Most Recent)

Stay Away

Former Employee - Cafe Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Cafe Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong chance of a M-F schedule, which is hard to find in the restaurant industry. The food quality is phenomenal. This is a made from scratch bakery, and they are very well known for their freshness and especially their amazing cookies. As a customer, this place is awesome. They pride themselves on being both a restaurant and a technology company, and I will say that they have been very successful at both. It is just a shame that the point of view is completely different on the other side of the counter.

Cons

Compensation for managers start out at $16/hr which sounds nice, but there is no bonus potential until you reach Area GM level, and even then, it is hard to obtain. They pile on the expectation, with little to no support. Day usually starts at 5:30am and you are lucky to get out before 6pm on most days. The stress levels are very high, and the upper management uses fear as a means to motivate. I wouldn't wish this company on anyone.

Listen to your people. Stop using fear and intimidation to attempt to motivate. Simplify your processes, and start taking care of your employees. I literally watched the evolution of an external hire Area Manager go from a positive, encouraging and highly looked upon leader to a stressed out, visually unhappy and demeaning person in a matter of months. This person came from a much larger role, so it wasn't the workload that turned her this way...it was the culture. Things need to change.

Well-paid position that unfortunately suffers from a lack of soul within this corporate monolith.

Current Employee - Walking Delivery
    Current Employee - Walking Delivery

I have been working at Specialty's Cafe & Bakery part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Delivery positions get paid well, especially compared to the other positions.
    - Minimal supervision when on delivery.
    - Most of the in-store managers I have worked with are very nice and down-to-earth.

Cons

- Very corporate, no different from a Subway after years of standardization. A palpable lack of soul in a wasteland of mass production. I suppose this wouldn't be as large of a negative if they didn't market themselves as 'made from scratch'.
    - Profit rules everything, cost cutting at every corner. Pre-packaged food made with the cheapest possible ingredients marketed as fresh, no employee break room, no lockers, no rain jackets, broken carts, etc.

There are newer employer reviews for Specialty's Cafe & Bakery

Worked for Specialty's Cafe & Bakery? Contribute to the Community!