There are newer employer reviews for Spectra Energy

This place SUCKS!

Former Employee - Administrative  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
Former Employee - Administrative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Spectra Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Six weeks holidays, good benefits

Cons

The 'manager' in my department was the worst micromanager known to man. No one wanted to work for this person thus a high turnover rate. There was all sorts of psychological abuse and bullying going on. I was not provided with sufficient training and struggled. How does one learn with a five minute overview on something complicated? There are way too many computer programs to deal with. The process to carry out work, even simple things, is a convoluted endeavour riddled by the run around from the many different departments. The company wastes way too much money on things, ie, having meetings at very expensive hotels and having them catered when it's really not necessary. Give that money to the United Way. Also, flying down to Texas was a waste since this program we were to learn was not even functional yet so we did 'testing' instead which begs the question "Who is running the show". There are positions there that a) there really is no need for; b) you wonder what that person does with the ridiculous title, ie, manager of diversity - what is that and is it really needed? If you have no personality, like an extremely conservative environment, enjoy getting the run around, this is the place for you. I could go on and on....

Don't let 'managers' report to someone that works in a different country because it's harder to know if they are 'managing' people correctly. When someone complains constantly about an individual and it is known that they are a problem, get rid of them. They are costing the company money in terms of turnover and/or payouts.

39 Other Employee Reviews for Spectra Energy (View Most Recent)

Mechanical Engineer in Training

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  Fort Nelson, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Fort Nelson, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Spectra Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Spectra offers great opportunity for hands on experience. Working at field operation locations is a huge benefit to gaining great work experience.

Benefits and pay are on par with industry.

Cons

Spectra struggles to attract senior personnel due to perceived "undesirable" locations in Northern BC.

Positive overall

I have been working at Spectra Energy full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Spectra Energy has a good corporate culture. It invests in its employees, and has a relaxed work environment. The work life balance is good with the flex hours program where you can get every other Friday off.

Cons

The career progression can be slow. Management wants to be 110% sure that someone will excel in the role before they make the move. It can be frustrating waiting for the next promotion.

There are newer employer reviews for Spectra Energy

Worked for Spectra Energy? Contribute to the Community!