Spectrum Health

www.spectrum-health.org
  www.spectrum-health.org
There are newer employer reviews for Spectrum Health

Overall, I had a great time working there.

Former Employee - Nurse Technician in Grand Rapids, MI
Former Employee - Nurse Technician in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Spectrum Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Its a teaching hospital, so I had many opportunities to learn from many different experiences. The people I worked with were awesome.

Cons

None that I can think of

None

89 Other Employee Reviews for Spectrum Health (View Most Recent)

Too Big

Former Employee - Clerical
    Former Employee - Clerical

I worked at Spectrum Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent benefits package, nice co workers, pay is fair, growing company, career movement if you have higher education

Cons

Huge company that keeps growing which is fine.. except for the fact that the higher up's seem more concerned with who they can merge with or take over next. Come across as greedy ,cold, and not really supportive when it comes to continuing education. Even thought they say that they are supportive, I was told by an human resource representative and other ;manager that they basically did not care about my school schedule or me trying to continue my education for health care. Even thought they were moving the office I worked at to a new building, and were changing my hours.When I asked about hour and shift flexibility due to school I was told " In an organization that employees 20,000+ people we can not possibly make any exceptions for you.. if we did that then we would have to do that for everyone." Also being told that we had 3 days to choose from a list of 3 other jobs that the new building would have and if we did not want to pick from those 3 jobs ( regardless of if your old schedule was different) you would be moved to resource staffing and had about 4 months to find a different job because once the 4 months was up your employment would END.

stop being so greedy and worried about how you can make more money... be more appreciative of your staff and do what you say your going to do.

High expectations, low pay

I have been working at Spectrum Health

Pros

Coworkers are like family and benefits are quite decent. Mid level management is generally receptive to suggestions. The head of nursing at the children's hospital also connects with staff regularly.

Cons

We are continually pushed to achieve excellence and our raises don't even keep up with inflation. It is such a joke, especially considering that SH is once again applying for magnet status.

You're not going to be the best health care facility by 2020 unless you start treating your nursing staff like valuable professionals and not a budget you can cut while you hire more administrators and build more pretty buildings.

There are newer employer reviews for Spectrum Health