There are newer employer reviews for Spectrum Health

Great Healthcare facility but some managers can ruin what should be a great job also.

Current Employee - RN
Current Employee - RN

I have been working at Spectrum Health

Pros

It is a very large, well-respected, quality healthcare provider in a beautiful city. They have great health incentives for their employees and offer discounts on insurance, exercise programs, classes and exercise equipment. They try to emphasize healthy habits and reward those who live by good example. I believe you must practice what you preach when you work in the healthcare field.

Cons

Benefits are not equal within this employer. Hospital employees have benefits that off-site employees do not get (ie Pension). Those who work off-site have the same stressors and responsibilities as those employees within the hospital and thus should be rewarded with the same benefits.

Pay attention to what lower level managers do. When you start to get a lot of turnover in a department which previously retained employees, it is a red flag that management may be a problem and is driving away previously loyal employees.

81 Other Employee Reviews for Spectrum Health (View Most Recent)

Spectrum Health would be even better to work at with some minor adjustments.

Current Employee - Nurse Aide  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Nurse Aide in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Spectrum Health

Pros

The best reasons to work at Spectrum are all the opportunities Spectrum gives their employees. I am a nurse aide right now and I am in school to be a nurse. I can keep going higher and higher with my education and my career. I also love how they are willing to help me with school by tuition reimbursement. The third thing I love is how Spectrum's goals are so high, and at sometimes they seem unreachable, but we are all striving to be the best hospital and that is a good example. And when we do become the best hospital I will be proud to know that I was a part of it.

Cons

The biggest downside of working at Spectrum is how big the company is. I sometimes feel lost or that the company might care about my specific needs because there are so many other people that could replace me so quick. I have been on workmen's comp for a few months and sometimes I feel like my case manager and my boss really care, and then there are other times where I feel like they are trying to get me to quit, so they can get a new person to fill my spot. I also feel that Spectrum needs to think more like a smaller hospital and care more about the patients than the money.

The advice I would like to give to Senior Management would be to be fair and honest. Also please listen to your employees, and even if you think their reason for complaining may be silly, hear them out and try to understand where they are coming from.

Breon needs to get a clue

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Spectrum Health

Pros

In the beginning it felt like a family atmosphere. But after Breon took over, the whole place became a business. When Bill Gonzalez was in charge the family feeling was evident in all aspects of the hospital.

Cons

Employees are not recognized for their contributions. Managers take credit for the work of their employees. Upper echelon is like a dictatorship. There is also terrible waste within the hospital. In the department I worked in, if an employee wanted to order something from office supply there was a blank check for whatever they wanted.

Get to know the people you work with on a personal level. There is a 'good ol' boy's club' and Breon is the leader. If you are not in the clique, you will be gone within five years.

There are newer employer reviews for Spectrum Health

Worked for Spectrum Health? Contribute to the Community!