There are newer employer reviews for Spencer Gifts

It is a fun stepping stone into the world of retail.

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Store Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Spencer Gifts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One can express their individuality without being judged. Stress level is minimum compared to other retailers. Very well structured and is ever changing.

Cons

Pay and bonuses are laughable.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Sales Associate for half a year, never working in a mall again

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bay Shore, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bay Shore, NY

I worked at Spencer Gifts part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy, sometimes fun, interesting people work there, no dress code, employee discounts

Cons

Everything gets old. Fast. No hours, shoddy pay (like really less than $100 for two weeks), bi-weekly pay, unfair treatment (SS would always come late, or just not come, nothing. I have a panic attack at work and get written up for slacking off. This place honestly caused me to have multiple panic attacks a month. They changed the schedule on days I was off (which was 6 days of the week) and never told me, I was fired for missing work twice (two more write ups) because of this. Huge shoplifting problem (to be fair those people are the ones they target) both customers AND employees. Silly pocket check does nothing. Obligation to talk to and push every single customer to buy things like some kind of used car salesman. Oh, and almost all the stuff there is cheap crap from China worth not even half what it's priced for and falls apart like nothing.

Advice to Management

Be more professional, stop picking favorites. You hire too many people with almost no reason to actually hire them, I almost didn't say a word the whole interview and she just talked and talked and I got the job. Maybe if you tried a little harder to get to know who you're hiring this place wouldn't be in the toilet.

2. Decent, but Seasonal Position Only

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Spencer Gifts part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun, Good if you enjoy working with people, not a difficult job by any length or measure, the team is also a lot of fun and for the most part the managers were cool. This job is far from

Cons

Room for advancement is minimal, no benefits, minimum wage, not a whole lot of hours. When they told me that my seasonal tenure was up they got a sales associate to call and tell us instead of the manager doing it himself.

Advice to Management

I know spencer's is a goofy and fun place to work but at the same time certain things should still be treated professionally. If you have made a change to an employees schedule they should call and tell them there has been a change, if you are letting go of an employee do it yourself, don't get your sales associates who make minimum wage to take the heat.