There are newer employer reviews for Spencer Ogden

I was very intersting

Current Employee - Recuiter in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Recuiter in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden

Pros

Open salary potiental and high level commision

Cons

New industry in the american market.

Pretty cool placed to work at, but need more time to develop american market

41 Other Employee Reviews for Spencer Ogden (View Most Recent)

Good experience working in a fast paced office

Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England (UK)

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very fast paced environment - really good experience for those who want to work in buzzy office where decisions are made quickly.

Promotion - I was promoted in my first year at SO (this included a decent salary increase too). Although my role didn't change a huge amount, it gave me the boost I was needing and by the time I left I was being given the opportunity to manage 2 other new grads.

You can (if you put the groundwork in) earn a lot of money. Other good incentives including going to the Ibiza office and lunch club are cool and happen regularly.

Training and 1-1 coaching is always available to those who want it, and I had some good training on leadership, negotiation etc, which I found useful.

Cons

Recruitment is an acquired taste, and it wasn't suited to me. If you're confident and good with people, then it can be an easy way to make some good money.

Too much emphasis on just being on the phone. I thought I would have the opportunity to go to client meetings but this never happened!!

Don't always refer back to our call stats...

Avoid at all costs

Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Office facilities are nice
    - Some good colleagues to work with
    - Incentive based trips for top achievers

Cons

The firm is essentially a high volume graduate call centre with a focus on sales-driven cold calling. There is an emphasis particularly on the amount of time spent on the phone rather than value added to candidates and clients. This is the primary emphasis of the management and any activity other than outbound sales calls such as client visits is not encouraged.

As a result the firm doesn't allow more experienced individuals to use their judgement to act in the way that they consider most professional, instead working more like a "boiler room" operation at times than a consultancy. The publicised emphasis on emulating the "Wolf of Wall Street" which was picked up in a few national newspapers doesn't do anything towards dispelling the vision that this is a firm interested in making a fast buck at the expense of their clients, rather than wanting to be viewed as a professional organisation who are in for the long term. As a result their reputation is in sharp decline within the industry and they have lost a number of clients who have black-listed the firm from their supplier lists.

The company also has an issue with a heavy drugs culture, which is generally ignored by senior management.

The firm is in sharp decline and the emphasis on short-term sales is deeply impacting your long term relationships. Success in consultancy is not about making a quick buck and then never working with that firm again. It is about a long-term relationship where you add real value and are seen as a trusted partner. There is no emphasis on this and therefore this is why so many senior staff have left.

With experienced consultants who have a proven track record give them some autonomy in how they work and manage their own results. There are more important factors than a myopic focus on volume of outbound sales calls.

Finally institute random drug tests for your employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Spencer Ogden