There are newer employer reviews for Spencer Ogden

Fun office a ruse for militant environment

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They hire great people, which make it a fun environment in the office. Grass for carpet, bright colors, looks more like a media or silicon valley office than an office in Houston. Everyone starts with 15 vacation days, get off at 3 on Fridays.

Cons

Extremely militant environment. Management is never hands on with employees, just sitting behind glass walls (literally) holding meetings. You are expected to spend at least 2 hrs on the phone a day, hitting the phone and being "busy" any work you might need to do for your market needs to be done before 8am and after 5pm as that time is devoted to being on the phone. Must take lunch from 12:30 - 1:30p, no exceptions.

Vacations are great if you are ever allowed to take them You are questioned on why you need the time off and what you will be doing (illegal). In interview I was asked more illegal questions (where will I live, what do my parents do, questions about my religion)

Don't understand how the US does business - people operate with integrity and honesty.

Everyone here is looking for another job. High rate of turnover - chop shop

Advice to Management

There is no help in learning about the oil and gas market. You are expected to learn about it by calling people and asking them what their job is.

Your staff aren't happy, you need to realize this and do something about it or you will lose everyone.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Entry level not a career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to fly helicopters, bounce balls.
    Lay back environment.
    The office is modern.
    The co-workers are extremely intelligent and nice.

Cons

Too many hours. Low Pay. No support. Cut Throat Environment. Training period is not reliable. Over time you lose hope in making a deal.

Advice to Management

Go back to school and learn how to run a business in the United States of America. This country is not the UK. Also listen to the Americans you have working for you. We can teach you how to talk to clients and actually start making profits.

Great culture, great people, great place

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is great. I've never worked in an environment like this and am loving every moment of it. The people that work for the company are awesome - you actually want to hang out with your co-workers even after spending all day with them!

There is so much excitement at the company and its good to be helping build something from the ground up.

Cons

We work longer hours than most companies. There are a few growing pains. UK bosses could embrace the Texan culture more quickly

Advice to Management

More networking events with clients - understand how Americans conduct business. There is a lot we can learn from our UK counterparts, but there is a lot for you to learn from us.

Working later doesn't mean you will be more productive...people have things to do outside of work.