There are newer employer reviews for Spicus Tutor

Great Job and Flexible.

Current Employee - Tutor in East Lansing, MI
Current Employee - Tutor in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Spicus Tutor

Pros

Working from home- No pants! No gas!
You pick your shifts.
The managers are very nice.
The pay is very fair.
The students are very sweet, funny, interesting and easy to talk to.
You learn as much as you teach.

Cons

The site and phone are somewhat shaky in technology. They can be unreliable but your managers are very helpful if you contact them as soon as you have a problem.
It's difficult to grade, teach, and talk all at the same time but if you miss something you are able to go back and listen to a recording of the call, so it's not bad.
Sometimes you have days with no breaks and calls all back to back but hey- more money!

Make the technology more reliable so tutors can do their jobs.

9 Other Employee Reviews for Spicus Tutor (View Most Recent)

I love it

Current Employee - Telephone Tutor to Students In Korea in East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Telephone Tutor to Students In Korea in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Spicus Tutor

Pros

I have a doctoral degree in intercultural communication and a masters degree in English with experience supervising ESL. I am basically a retired teacher who loves all kinds of people. The job was made for me. I enoy interacting with these wonderful Korean professionals and learning about them and their country. It is a country and culture that most of us never knew existed. Every day I am charmed and delighted and impressed with things I hear--and along the way I correct "l" and "r" and the wierd kinds of sentence structure. I am interacting with top management as well as top university graduates just beginning their careers. I meet people I would never meet in my regular walk of life.

Although the job has many expectations and little pay, I have rarely had a job from which I have learned so much and met so many great people. If you are retired or a grad student looking for a PT job, this is perfect for you.

Cons

The expectations for paperwork are inconsistent with reality. You cannot talk and grade at the same time, not and show the students the kind of respect human beings deserve

Let an English teacher edit the textbooks

Too controlled

Former Employee - Tutor in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Tutor in Lansing, MI

I worked at Spicus Tutor

Pros

you can work from home on your computer. You will have hours like morning shift or pm shift and than that no other benefit.

Cons

-un-friendly management
    -Controlled over your whole day
    -Point system where you get points marked off for childish things.
    Management reminds on my elementary teachers.

Please act like your are dealing with adults and stop treating employees like they are childrens who are always in trouble for some reason.

There are newer employer reviews for Spicus Tutor