Former employee

Former Employee - Employee in Irvine, CA
Former Employee - Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Spireon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, not the best. Decent pay.

Cons

The company posses terrible communication and organizational skills. You will find Spireon will portray themselves as having leading cutting edge technology when in actuality its a AVERAGE product at best. The marketing department is under acheiving, and needs to make some changes. While the the CEO is a good man at heart he doesn't posses the necessary knowledge and experience to take this company to the next level at this point. Many of the executive management uses old school "lead by fear" tactics. The HR department acts more of a secret service to the executive management team with behaviors of swindling, lies, and unfulfilled promises to employees. During the past 4 years I've seen them lose valuable employees (fired and resigned). This company has a long way to go before it can consider itself a top tier technology leader.

Advice to Management

I would recommend the executive management closely takes a look at each department and uses innovative ideas to become more competive in each of the market segments. Too much focus on profit, with a lack of focus on customer service. Needs help in the engineering and marketing department.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Spireon is finding its legs

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Spireon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company has had some struggles finding itself in the past but is currently transforming itself into a world class engineering organization. Leadership is thoughtful about how to grow talent. Engineers are encouraged to influence the organization. Great opportunities for solving interesting problems and working with very cool tech.

Cons

Currently lots of organizational change. The culture is changing fast, I think for the better. I'm hoping all this change results in clarity soon.

Cons outweigh the Pros

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Spireon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As an employee, you will have the opportunity to contribute in the growth phase of this company. The market still has many competitors and I think many agree that the market itself hasn't stopped growing. Benefits pretty good, and occasionally the company will do nice things for their employees. (ie. events, lunches, etc.)

Cons

In my opinion there are three big negatives of working here, all of which directly relate to the company's future livelihood. 1. Management: More focus is placed on titles and authority than on leadership. In the middle of 2013, many long-time execs were given the boot and replaced with, I hate to say it, some really poor choices. Management mentality is more or less a mixed message of: you are expendable, you are expendable, we need you so please work hard. 2. The product (present and future): Spireon is currently a leader in their field in terms of buy here pay here gps, but continues to struggle when it comes to fleet or their M2M Platform. Most of upper management focus on price per unit, revenue, operating expense, which are all relevant things, but unfortunately this is at the expense of the product and customer experience. Think of it like a hook, line, and sinker. They want to acquire customers with great marketing for a mediocre product, and then hope they keep buying. The M2M platform is mostly vapor ware. You will hear lots of impressive talk about entering other industries, etc, but it largely doesn't exist. 3. Human Resources: Their human resources department is, in my opinion, a big enough reason in itself to stay away form this company. Many times, requests were put in for various things such as employee paperwork, etc with no response and no one seems to know if they are on vacation or simply not answering emails. But, by and large, the worst part is that the HR department acts as a secret police if you will; secretly interviewing coworkers about other employees, seeking out information about what other employees do outside of work, etc. There's not enough room to explain here, but it creates a predatory environment where employees feel like any move they make may be prosecuted. Not a whole lot of fun.

Advice to Management

Value your employees beyond a productivity level. Rather than continuing the madness of hiring and firing, spend more time picking the right, talented people to work for you. Use this selectivity to create a culture of people who love to work for you. Also, get a handle on your HR department.