Sport Chalet

www.sportchalet.com
  www.sportchalet.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sport Chalet

Great for Sports oriented individuals but be prepared to take the heat.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Laguna Niguel, CA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Laguna Niguel, CA

I have been working at Sport Chalet

Pros

The best thing is the many different people you will work with.The employees are friendly and some become good friends even outside the buisness. You are always learning about the new items available in the Departments you are working. There are many different departments to learn and each one of them has the a unique customer. Scuba you get the ocean oriented individual while in ski shop you get the person who lives for the cold. The pro deals are an excellent incentive for employees and each employee gets 25% off of in-store purchases.

Cons

The time can go by really slow if all of the "projects" are done and the customers are few. The place has drama happening all the time. The customers can sometimes get really pushy about trying to get a price for lower then what it says on the tag. The coverage for departments can be low sometimes and you end up watching 2 or 3 departments at once by yourself which gets hectic.

To be more considerate to employee's feelings. I have seen to many good people go because manager's explode with anger towards them. When a person from corporate is coming into the store you need to relax. I know its the big guys but your frustration trickles down to employees which is a horrible feeling.

106 Other Employee Reviews for Sport Chalet (View Most Recent)

Sport Chalet.. they'll take you to the limit.

Current Employee - Ski Technician in La Canada, CA
    Current Employee - Ski Technician in La Canada, CA

I have been working at Sport Chalet

Pros

Working at Sport Chalet is fun and exciting. You are surrounded by fun and exciting people, and given fun and exciting jobs. Other pluses include what are known as "pro deals", pro deals essentially buying products directly from the manufacturer, for drastically reduced price, for example, I bought roughly $1000 worth of snowboard equipment for about $500. Other benefits include free or heavily discounted lift tickets to local ski resorts. They also give you regular reviews which allows you to exhibit your success and hard work, which leads to regular compensation raises and promotions.

Cons

As with any seasonal retail company there is a lot of slow work days and downtime due to lack of business in the off season.

Sales were much easier when I knew the product very well. However, there were minimal product clinics etc.

A fun place to work!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in La Canada Flintridge, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in La Canada Flintridge, CA

I have been working at Sport Chalet

Pros

I enjoy selling the equipment for the sports I love.

Cons

I dislike the retail hours as they tend to be very long; dealing with customers who are difficult can be irritating.

The advice I would give senior management would be to keep your head positive in this difficult time.

There are newer employer reviews for Sport Chalet