There are newer employer reviews for Sport Chalet

It's not what it used to be

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sport Chalet part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-good discount -pro deals -shop passes to local ski resorts -generally pretty flexible when it comes to scheduling -good product

Cons

-favoritism -they've lost sight of what the company stood for...helping customers, providing expert advice and making honest sales -they would rather you, as an employee, sell someone a product that is unnecessary than selling what is truly needed to make percentages -no raises since 2008 -management doesn't communicate -they expect projects to get done on top of making daily percentages, while cutting/eliminating shifts. Therefore the store and most departments are understaffed

Advice to Management

Remember the core values of the company. Train management to lead better. Being back the great training clinics for new hires.

Other Employee Reviews for Sport Chalet

1. What you see is what you get.

Current Employee - SALES ASSOCIATE SPORT CHALET in Mission Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - SALES ASSOCIATE SPORT CHALET in Mission Viejo, CA

I have been working at Sport Chalet part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy atmosphere, not much hard work. Some managers are great.

Cons

Expected to fill in for positions you may not have experience with. Some managers are horrible. The company does not believe in raises. What you're hired at, is what you get.

Advice to Management

Raise the salaries with experience.

Man, it sure was a drag working here

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Sport Chalet part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Flexible hours ideal for the part-time or full-time student -Pro-deal discounts

Cons

-Favoritism -No raises - Forced to nag people about rewards program and warrantieson a daily basis. -Ridiculous return policy -No real training, you kinda just learn everything on your own. -No chance of moving up in the company. Management was the worst. I really think that they should all go through some sort of formal training. In my time working there, I saw department heads get away with so many things that would have gotten any one else fired. Management is so corrupt and sleazy. They clearly don't care about the customers at all. I found it hard to take any of them seriously when they were all so glaringly incompetent at their job. The only people you will see move up in the company are people that are management's favorites. Very rarely will you see a hardworking individual make it anywhere while working there. Most of the senior employees that had been working there for many years still hadn't been moved up at all by the time I quit. Working here was truly soul draining.

Advice to Management

Train management. Reevaluate core values. Get rid of the ridiculous return policy.