There are newer employer reviews for Sport Chalet

It just gets worse and worse.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Henderson, NV
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Henderson, NV

I worked at Sport Chalet part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pro deal discounts and flexible schedule if you are in school

Cons

No appreciation for hard working employees, no raises, favoritism to employees who dont even do their job, return policy is ridiculous, no consistency with what they want you to do, the only thing management cares about is measurables and will threaten those who don't do good enough to fire them, yet you get nothing for actually doing well. They will schedule part timers full time hours but won't make them full time status for benefits/vacation days. Employees are always in a bad mood because GM sets a miserable and hostile environment. I could go on for days..

Respect your employees and don't take your stress out on them in negative ways. Employees would probably sell better if they weren't working in such a negative atmospshere.

92 Other Employee Reviews for Sport Chalet (View Most Recent)

Man, it sure was a drag working here

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Sport Chalet part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Flexible hours ideal for the part-time or full-time student
    -Pro-deal discounts

Cons

-Favoritism
    -No raises
    - Forced to nag people about rewards program and warrantieson a daily basis.
    -Ridiculous return policy
    -No real training, you kinda just learn everything on your own.
    -No chance of moving up in the company.

Management was the worst. I really think that they should all go through some sort of formal training. In my time working there, I saw department heads get away with so many things that would have gotten any one else fired. Management is so corrupt and sleazy. They clearly don't care about the customers at all. I found it hard to take any of them seriously when they were all so glaringly incompetent at their job. The only people you will see move up in the company are people that are management's favorites. Very rarely will you see a hardworking individual make it anywhere while working there. Most of the senior employees that had been working there for many years still hadn't been moved up at all by the time I quit. Working here was truly soul draining.

Train management. Reevaluate core values. Get rid of the ridiculous return policy.

It's not what it used to be

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sport Chalet part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-good discount
    -pro deals
    -shop passes to local ski resorts
    -generally pretty flexible when it comes to scheduling
    -good product

Cons

-favoritism
    -they've lost sight of what the company stood for...helping customers, providing expert advice and making honest sales
    -they would rather you, as an employee, sell someone a product that is unnecessary than selling what is truly needed to make percentages
    -no raises since 2008
    -management doesn't communicate
    -they expect projects to get done on top of making daily percentages, while cutting/eliminating shifts. Therefore the store and most departments are understaffed

Remember the core values of the company. Train management to lead better. Being back the great training clinics for new hires.

There are newer employer reviews for Sport Chalet

Worked for Sport Chalet? Contribute to the Community!