There are newer employer reviews for Sport Chalet

Polarizing

I have been working at Sport Chalet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will meet some of the most amazing people working at Sport Chalet. I have never felt community like that in my whole life. The discounts are great as well. The industry believes in use what you sell. Benefits are mediocre at best, but they will get you by.

Cons

The store level management staff is horrendous. There are a few shining examples, but they are few and far in between. Most of the management has not completed any higher education. In fact, most of the store management are lifers and have been promoted through the ranks. This would usually be a good thing, but most of the lifers don't know how to manage their left and right feet. The managers I worked under and did have higher education were smart enough to leave. The management style is all about micromanagement. Employees are not given freedom to express their ideas and are put down if they do.

Come back to the roots of the company. This is not what our founder had in mind. The company is afloat, but the spirit is dying. Take a hard look at what's going on. The floor employees are your face and voice, take care of them and they will take care of you.

97 Other Employee Reviews for Sport Chalet (View Most Recent)

It just gets worse and worse.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Henderson, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Henderson, NV

I worked at Sport Chalet part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pro deal discounts and flexible schedule if you are in school

Cons

No appreciation for hard working employees, no raises, favoritism to employees who dont even do their job, return policy is ridiculous, no consistency with what they want you to do, the only thing management cares about is measurables and will threaten those who don't do good enough to fire them, yet you get nothing for actually doing well. They will schedule part timers full time hours but won't make them full time status for benefits/vacation days. Employees are always in a bad mood because GM sets a miserable and hostile environment. I could go on for days..

Respect your employees and don't take your stress out on them in negative ways. Employees would probably sell better if they weren't working in such a negative atmospshere.

Man, it sure was a drag working here

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Sport Chalet part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Flexible hours ideal for the part-time or full-time student
    -Pro-deal discounts

Cons

-Favoritism
    -No raises
    - Forced to nag people about rewards program and warrantieson a daily basis.
    -Ridiculous return policy
    -No real training, you kinda just learn everything on your own.
    -No chance of moving up in the company.

Management was the worst. I really think that they should all go through some sort of formal training. In my time working there, I saw department heads get away with so many things that would have gotten any one else fired. Management is so corrupt and sleazy. They clearly don't care about the customers at all. I found it hard to take any of them seriously when they were all so glaringly incompetent at their job. The only people you will see move up in the company are people that are management's favorites. Very rarely will you see a hardworking individual make it anywhere while working there. Most of the senior employees that had been working there for many years still hadn't been moved up at all by the time I quit. Working here was truly soul draining.

Train management. Reevaluate core values. Get rid of the ridiculous return policy.

There are newer employer reviews for Sport Chalet