Sport Chalet

www.sportchalet.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Sport Chalet

An alright place to work

Current Employee - Sportswear Associate in West Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Sportswear Associate in West Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sport Chalet

Pros

Starting pay is above minimum wage, but nothing great. The employees are usually fun to work with, and the free rentals are nice if you camp, dive, surf, etc. They also work around school schedules/other job schedules pretty well.

Cons

I was hired on as a "part time" employee, with a starting wage of $9/hr, and no chance of a wage increase due to the recession (lame excuse). Every week I have been scheduled 37 hour work weeks, which I'm not complaining about, but it seems poor business practice to hire on people as part time, schedule them to have almost a full time schedule, and let them continue to work without any benefits. In the store, there are 3 assistant managers and 1 general manager; there's never really a consensus between management as to what needs to happen on projects. Management doesn't split the crappy shifts evenly between employees within a department either. I get closing shifts about 3-4 times/week, while some of my coworkers rarely see one within a week. This really sucks when a walk from some bigwig at the corporate office is scheduled the next day. The managers become nervous wrecks and keep the closing employees until midnight or 1am. Managers don't usually help with the closing duties, either, which gets annoying when they start hounding on you about why you have only finished the 300 of 500 things you need to do before you can go home. When the actual walk happens, the managers become super anal about employee placement, and threaten employees with write-ups if they don't stand in a certain spot within their department.

Sport Chalet also attempts to have excellent customer service, but rarely does a new hire know anything about the merchandise in the store to aid customers. Sure, I know everything about the clothes in my department after working for a few months, but I didn't at first, and actual training about specific products/vendors/apparel usage was virtually nonexistent. And, new hires are usually just thrown on the floor by themselves and expected to swim by their first shift. Sometimes customers will come pull me out of the women's swimwear section to try to get me to help them in departments I know nothing about all the friggin time. We're told to ask the customer to hold on while we page someone who actually knows something, which just aggravates a lot of customers. The general manager told me during my hiring interview that employees are sent to product clinics to learn about vendors and their merchandise. What I was not told was that the only employees who are sent there, are the ones who have worked the longest amount of time. So, only a handful of people actually get product knowledge straight from the vendors themselves.

Inventory is done every 6 months, which is fine for the sheer amount of stock each store carries, but it's very stressful. The district manager came in and started threatening to fire people if they had to rescan a section of merchandise because of mistakes. It was stressful for everyone involved.

Also, the music is terrible. If you work at a store that can see the ocean from the storefront, the music is pretty new. If not, you get stuck with horrible classic rock that never changes and never stops being looped.

Sport Chalet is not a horrible place to work, it has flaws like every business, but I wouldn't suggest trying to make a living from this. Get your education and find something better.

If you want excellent customer service, you need to work on excellent training.

115 Other Employee Reviews for Sport Chalet (View Most Recent)

Avg ok place

Current Employee - Department Head in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Department Head in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Sport Chalet

Pros

Cool PPL to work with... Very easy work for part timework

Cons

Demanding for full time no employee growth,raises, and thank you for hard work by staff.

Needs to look at store numbers as depts to fully understand what is needed instead of lumping districts together for replenishment.

Better than a poke in the eye - but just barely!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Marina del Rey, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Marina del Rey, CA

I have been working at Sport Chalet

Pros

Fellow employees are an interesting lot and customers really appreciate good and knowledgable attention. Dealing with sporting goods can be a lot of fun.

Cons

It appears that employee morale is the least of their concerns. There is a pervasive climate of fear of the corporate staff, many of whom have no experience in the sporting goods industry.

Do a much better job of training management and of communicating up and down the line. Encourage input from employees. Close the locations that are not paying their own way.

There are newer employer reviews for Sport Chalet