Sport&Health

There are newer employer reviews for Sport&Health

Pretty Awesome

Current Employee - Lifeguard in Reston, VA
Current Employee - Lifeguard in Reston, VA

I have been working at Sport&Health

Pros

Great pay, I earn the same as my brother who works for the government.
Another great thing is that you get to use the gym for free; free membership!
And the people are generally really nice.
The managers do a great job of keeping you in the loop and all you have to do is watch a pool and keep everyone from getting chemical burns. :D

Cons

There aren't really any cons.
The position of lifeguard looks pretty crappy on a resume..
Oh and if you work in the morning and it is not too loud there is a high risk of falling asleep. haha

Management.. hm... Pretty much nonexistent in this line of work.
Some cleaning to get done.
All i could ask for is a more efficient upper management.
I've needed my own key card for 2 months now

41 Other Employee Reviews for Sport&Health (View Most Recent)

Confused organization...avoid membership sales/marketing positions.

Former Employee - Membership Director/Consultant in Virginia (South Africa)
    Former Employee - Membership Director/Consultant in Virginia (South Africa)

I worked at Sport&Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The clubs and amenities they offer are more than adequate for most people looking to join a health club and rates are reasonable, so I would potentially join as a member. The majority of the staff and trainers are good people to work with (management not so much - see below). Free access to all clubs.

I did enjoy casually meeting and talking with the members and working with my fellow workers, but there is a huge disconnect between management (GMs and up) and the rest of the staff throughout the company.

Cons

Let me start by apologizing for my long, but thorough, analysis. I must state, I am suspicious of the overwhelmingly, positive reviews and their timing (obvious). Maybe it's just me. My review pertains specifically to marketing/sales positions (specifically Membership Director and Consultant).

I put marketing first, because if you think the core of this job is to sit down, build rapport with potential members who express interest in joining a health club, think again. The biggest focus they’ll have for you will consist of ambush marketing (flyers on cars, door hangers, etc.) and accosting individuals and current club members for names and contact information. And typically, if you don’t hit their magic numbers you won’t be allowed to work with any of the hot prospects that walk in the door or inquire over the telephone or on-line.

It is a numbers game, but S&H wants you to get 15+ names and phone numbers and have 5 appointments every day. You 'may' be able to get 15 names on some days, and on rare occasion have 5 appointments for promotion days, but most people you market to don't want to give you their contact information or simply give you bogus info. Heck, most people that fill out on-line leads provide bogus contact info. Then your manager will ask you how many appointments were set 'on the spot' with the people you contacted while out marketing, and if you did, the prospect will give you a vague time frame and then management will look at you in disbelief when you tell them they didn't show for their 'gym appointment.' Why? Most people have more pressing things going on in their lives (job, finances, spouse, children, commitments, etc.) that take priority over making sure they show for their gym introduction.

You are also expected to go out and market in your car, on your dime, at your liability. You may only drive 50-60 miles a week while marketing, but you need to do so using your own car, pay for gas and your insurance is at risk. If you get hit while out marketing, you're on your own.

They believe you can influence or persuade someone into joining a health club, and granted, with some people you can, but these are the same people that quit within a month (more on this regarding commissions later). And although S&H would tell you not to lie, the position is more of just don't tell the truth when trying to close someone. I would always be up front with my answers or explanations and the people I dealt with told me they appreciated it.

INTERVIEWING/TURNOVER:
    Turnover in sales/marketing is probably around 80+%, so they are always in need of hiring new people. There is an even bigger problem holding on to quality individuals with solid backgrounds and experience. Why? Beyond the self-demeaning activities demanded of you (which makes you question your integrity and self worth daily), it’s primarily because the potential bonus and commissions presented to you during your interview will be based on lofty, borderline unattainable, goals and is structured accordingly.

I will state, however, under the right circumstances it can be more attainable to hit goal, albeit short term. For example, someone may hit goal because everyone else on the team quit so they received all the incoming leads meant for a team of people. But once a new team comes in, you’re back in the same hole. Or maybe it's because you’re at a brand new club in an untapped area, but when the area has been saturated they will likely continue to keep or increase your goal. Previous GMs have told me it's all about being at the right club at the right time to hit goals and they would never work at some of the clubs because they were no-win situations.

TRAINING:
    Training consists of how to work/script with people who come in the club, make phone calls (scripts) and accost people while marketing out on the street and members in the club. They review handing out passes, flyers, door hangers, etc., and the task of getting names and contact information of people interested in joining your health club. Would you give your name and phone number to someone who approached you in the street for a gym pass? Answer: A big fat, maybe, and that's only if you are truly interested in joining that particular health club. Good luck finding 15 people like this every day.

They also instituted standing outside on street corners and store fronts like hot dog vendors with a table and try to get paper contracts signed. “Yes, ma’am, if you would just provide me with your credit card, all your contact information and sign here you can become a member right here and now. I understand you've never been to our club and have never met me, but I promise you’ll love our club and all your credit information is safe with me.”

Really?!!! Some GM or manager will portray some incredible success story doing this so as not to demoralize you, but who the heck joins a gym they’ve never been too and provides all their credit info to a stranger? You will feel like you're a breath away from being asked to wear a chicken suit and hold a sign on a busy street corner.

The reviews here that state they learned a lot about sales and marketing obviously had limited experience in that realm, so they likely did learn the basics of how to approach a random stranger and ask them for their name/contact information and learn how to pass out flyers and apply a door hanger. A Girl Scout has the same approach only they have something better to offer.

GOAL SETTING:
    Starting out you're feeling great about the prospect of making money based on commissions/bonuses. But instead of setting goals on what is realistic or what has been sold historically they seem to set them based on the finances of the club. For example, you'll often see where a club may have averaged 100 sales a month the past three years but your monthly goal is 140. Only about 2-3 clubs out of the 22 hit their monthly goal and there have been individual months where not even a single club hit their goal!

Also, they would occasionally provide on-line specials and if someone signed up on-line and came in to tour the club, set up their member cards, enroll in programs, Q&A, etc. no credit was given to the individual consultant. Basically, robbing the consultants of a possible sale.

So when a club loses 'X' number of members, or has competitive clubs that open nearby, or the club simply has a bad business plan, etc., they simply state we, meaning YOU, need to sell more regardless of how unattainable it may be. Some clubs only break even when they hit goal...it could be they have a terrible finances/expenses or have poor membership retention...who knows? But instead of addressing the root of the problem the solution is, 'We need to sell more.' They are re-active in this manner and simply try to sell their way out of everything. Most sales people will figure this out and are unlikely to be there for long...they are either biding their time until they can find a better job or they stop caring because they realize how disingenuous the company is.

COMMISSIONS/PAY:
    As a Consultant, your base pay isn’t far removed from minimum wage. Directors can make a lot more in base pay, but only make a considerable bonus, along with the GM, if the club hits goal and, as mentioned earlier, very few clubs hit goal…some clubs only made goal 2-3 times in a two year period and some may be longer.

Some of your sales can get scrubbed and you will not get paid for them or they will simply count against you moving forward. Whether it’s members quitting within a certain time frame (months not weeks), not getting physically signed in a timely manner (people will sign up over the phone - convenience, last day of promotion, etc.), still need a final piece of information (ex: proof of ID) or your manager feels you don’t deserve it, there are many ways for them to not pay you on sales. Of course, the company will not cancel these memberships so long as they continue to pay, but you won't be paid for it. One sale could make or break your month. So if someone signs up over the phone because they are out of town, but can't physically sign the agreement within the company's time frame they won't cancel the membership, but they will cancel all your commissions and bonuses based on that sale.

WORK ENVIRONMENT/HOURS:
    If you are fortunate enough to hit goal at the end of the month it’s a quick nod of ‘good job’ followed up with an immediate ‘what have you done for me lately?’ at the beginning of the next month. Best situation for the company is for everyone from the MC to the GM to end up one sale short of their goals so they don’t have to pay the commissions...saves them a lot of money. And frankly, as an MC, if you hit your personal goal there is no incentive for you beyond that for the club to hit it’s goal. So, as an MD, one of your MCs may hit their personal bonus but they have no incentive to work that much harder to hit your club goal, only commission on their personal sales.

The company only concerns itself with sales, but they want you to be emotionally invested into the bottom line of the club as a whole and spend what seems like an endless amount of your time dealing with members’ questions regarding billing, complaints, changes to memberships, parking, facility repairs, tv channels, and the list goes on and on. In the members’ eyes, Member Services is worthless (I was told once it was only three people primarily communicating electronically with all the member issues). I would personally go above and beyond to help members and be part of what they appreciated about the club, but it is appreciated by the members only.

The GMs fall in rank and file because they’ve had to tow the company line to obtain the GM position, regardless if they disagree with any company policies. If a GM or MD dares challenge a company directive their crony days are over. More GMs need to be creative thinkers and be allowed to express changes. Any ideas or questions I had as a manager when addressing what seemed to be a solution or improvement fell on deaf ears. The wasted hours listening to the same rah-rah, conference calls for managers were just that, ‘wasted time.’ It was the same rhetoric every week that never carried any weight or insight. The overall message was, ‘Our numbers are down, so we’re going to try this’…same thing every week/month.

This leads me to the multitude of sales programs/membership options. I’ve never seen a company complicate what should be an easy membership process. They would constantly change the fees, dues up front, etc. surrounding the monthly rates (which were typically consistent) and because of this it confused the sales team and prospects had to always pause, weigh and measure all the options like they were analyzing a mortgage. It was like giving a financial lesson to the prospect.

Working only 40 hours as an MC was unconscionable. As an MD you were paid more and subsequently had to work one pair of two and three consecutive 12 hr days every month, plus extra time marketing at events (usually on weekends when you are supposed to be off). You also had to cover for your MCs when they didn’t show or were simply short staffed. As an MC they would always try to get you to work longer, basically wanting you to volunteer your free time to work for the club. And forget time off for holidays...July 4, Thanksgiving, Labor Day, etc. doesn't matter, someone has to be there.

CONCLUSION:
    Live and learn. There is no doubt more people need to embrace healthy living in this country and I went in optimistic and hopeful because I enjoy helping people accomplish this, but I quickly learned that health clubs treat members like cattle, no different than any other business I guess. There were some red flags I ignored and some things I was 'never made aware of' because I likely may have never taken the job. One was not reading the reviews here before accepting the job. Now I know why they wanted me to start so quickly.

Create a line of communication and listen to the people who work on the front lines. Don't think you have your pulse on the company because you review a bunch of numbers on an Excel sheet. MCs, MDs, front desk, trainers, etc. are the people communicating with your members. You're right that the people at S&H make the difference and these people are the aforementioned, plus the GMs, but any GM that speaks up seems to be afraid of being ostracized. My thinking is that US Fitness Holdings purchased you primarily because of your footprint in the area, but they also saw room for change and improvement, so hopefully they'll make the appropriate changes for the sake of those still at S&H.

Cares more about money

Current Employee - Lifeguard in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Lifeguard in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Sport&Health part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy work, not much else

Cons

No room for pay raise with low pay, Cares more about money than customer satisfaction, even if a member is making everybody else uncomfortable

Take better care of your employees and customers, membership drives ARENT that important

There are newer employer reviews for Sport&Health