There are newer employer reviews for Sports Authority

Get to meet new people, some great, others not so great. Too much work for the amount you get paid though.

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Great older people. You get to hear a lot of stories and make your own. Learning things about different departments in the stores really helps expand your own knowledge about sports that can be beneficial if you are interested in sports.

Cons

They push selling Thorlo socks and SofSole insoles WAY too much. Regardless of whether or not you sell high end items or thousands of dollars in equipment, if you don't reach your Thorlo/insole goal, the DM gets mad. Makes me feel bad for the Sales Team Leader/Manager, that's probably the hardest pressed position in the store. Since a lot of younger people apply and get hired here, be sure to expect some "high school drama".

Advice to Management

Keep gossip to a minimum, and if you have an issue with an employee, let them know about it instead of going behind their backs and telling other people about it. It builds respect towards yourself and it makes everything feel more like a nice working family.

reviews filtered by

It seems the corporate level continue to throw darts in how the stores should be run, hoping one of them will stick.

I worked at Sports Authority

Pros

Fellow associates and supervisors are generally pleasant to work with. The associate discount isn't bad, especially on sale items. Flexible with school schedules.

Cons

Unfortunately these are many. Understand this is a business and the need exists to be profitable, however, how successful does this company think it can be by cutting payroll so much that there isn't enough staff at any given time to be visible to customers? That has a direct impact on sales. This also affects job security in that if an associate can't meet their numbers (quotas), they are "counseled" and/or given less hours. Associate wages are low and not commission-based, yearly wage increases are pitiful and aren't enough to cover the yearly rise in employee cost for benefits (and that is only if you're full-time which is 32 hrs/week). The only way to make more is to push mostly unnecessary products onto customers such as insoles and extended coverage plans which are filled with so many exclusions that if one actually read them one would see they're a waste of customer money. The associate is only compensated a miniscule amount for the sale of such a plan. Did I mention I wasn't a "sales authority" so most of this didn't really apply to me but one can still feel the pressures put on others and the tension it creates within the store. This can only have negative consequences for the customer as well as the associate. The current computer technologies used in store need to be brought up to date- a little money put up front will be cost effective for the company in the long run.

Advice to Management

Management should value a hard-working, productive associate without them having to brown-nose store management for it. Corporate level management needs to re-visit their profit strategies and realize they costing themselves money and customer loyalty by understaffing stores. Pay attention to the COMMENTS on the CEI not the score it gives. These comments are what your customers think about the service received and speak volumes. Your associates are not ignorant so don't treat them as such.

2. Started out great, but soon a new manager replaced everyone and became very strict and unfair

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Fun place to work, good discount and cool employees. Played sports all my life so I knew a lot and could help customers better

Cons

My department had no area for promotion such as an authority and I have been here for 4 plus years.

Advice to Management

Be fair don't play favoritism