There are newer employer reviews for Sports Authority

Get to meet new people, some great, others not so great. Too much work for the amount you get paid though.

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Great older people. You get to hear a lot of stories and make your own. Learning things about different departments in the stores really helps expand your own knowledge about sports that can be beneficial if you are interested in sports.

Cons

They push selling Thorlo socks and SofSole insoles WAY too much. Regardless of whether or not you sell high end items or thousands of dollars in equipment, if you don't reach your Thorlo/insole goal, the DM gets mad. Makes me feel bad for the Sales Team Leader/Manager, that's probably the hardest pressed position in the store. Since a lot of younger people apply and get hired here, be sure to expect some "high school drama".

Advice to Management

Keep gossip to a minimum, and if you have an issue with an employee, let them know about it instead of going behind their backs and telling other people about it. It builds respect towards yourself and it makes everything feel more like a nice working family.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Started out great, but soon a new manager replaced everyone and became very strict and unfair

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Fun place to work, good discount and cool employees. Played sports all my life so I knew a lot and could help customers better

Cons

My department had no area for promotion such as an authority and I have been here for 4 plus years.

Advice to Management

Be fair don't play favoritism

Its a competitive job, where unless your at the top your being disciplined.

Current Employee - Fitness/Team Sports Authority
    Current Employee - Fitness/Team Sports Authority

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

cool employees to work with (management is not)

Cons

stupid barcode stickers relating to our employee number that we have to put on every produce we sell, just to get credit at the registers (half the time the cashiers dont scan them). being told over and over again to improve your sales management tries to pit employees against each other in ways just to try make a hostile environment so we sell more than each other.

Advice to Management

You complain so much about us not selling a lot but why is it that you don't give us enough hours to reach every customer. Most of the time I'm juggling 4-9 customers by myself on the entire floor. I'm a department authority and I was trained in fitness and team sports in order to sell big ticketed items, yet all I get now is closing shifts. Which means all I get to do is clean the store, I haven't gotten to talk to a customer about the big ticketed items you love so much just because nobody comes in at 7pm to buy them.