There are newer employer reviews for Sports Authority

Current Sports Authority Employee Warns Prospective Candidates!!!

Current Employee - Senior Sales Authority in Burbank, CA
Current Employee - Senior Sales Authority in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good clothes, shoes, gear, and the people you meet. Fellow employees? Let's just say, keep them at work and leave it at that.

Cons

Messy, impossible to keep up with, lazy co-workers, and too much is demanded.

Advice to Management

Stop showing favoritism, practice what you preach, provide a better working environment for employees, and give some incentive for employees to grow with the company. There is too much turnover rate in my location, the best employees quit from what I've observed. Then the good employees that are still there, are being overworked while Management socializes with the procrastinators. It isn't fair. All that Management cares about is their sales and results. When you do perform well, they don't care to thank you. They say, "give me some more." Unless you're one of the popular or favored, there is no future for anyone there. You can be the best salesperson, but, if you're not brown-nosing, it doesn't even matter. Those who plan to apply here, best beware, you will be sucked dry until you are not longer needed.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Newly hired footware sales associate

Current Employee - Footwear Specialist in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Footwear Specialist in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere to work in, especially if you are the athletic type. Learn a lot about various athletic gear. Great employee discount!

Cons

Low pay/minimal hours Horrible training procedures (or lack thereof)

Advice to Management

Have some sort of training system (not just the required computer training, but hands on) so that new employees aren't completely lost when trying to work ECP, AOS, etc. I was given a Sr. Sales Authority to "shadow" in order to learn the trade better, but if you cannot find your "shadow" it is difficult to learn. In summary, MUCH better training is needed. Also, the best way to encourage employees to work hard is to let them know what is needed to be done in order to be considered for promotion.

2. Stay FAR, FAR, FAR away from this horrendous company!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The health benefits and vacation pay aren't bad - but you will definitely need to take a LONG vacation as often as you can from here.

Cons

EVERYTHING! They expect the world from you, but it will never be good enough. You work hours on end trying to prove your self as a hard working, determined employee that wants to grow with the company (I thought that's what companies now a days were looking for? Guess not.) Just for them to tell you - well were going to hire outside, because this person is less qualified, hasn't worked retail, and has almost no management skills...because they can hire them at a lower cost. Great ethics! Really makes me want to work harder for your company. But the CEO can take the private jet to and from his home in Oregon to the corporate office in Colorado, every week. Again, great ethics.

Advice to Management

Take pride in your associates that are willing to go above and beyond for your company. Make them feel like you care, I know its hard sitting in your big spacious office 4 days a week, taking the private company jet here and there (who pays for the jet fuel, by the way?? I know you aren't pulling out your own personal credit card for that one, are you?) But maybe if you take the time to thank your employees for all the hard work they do and long hours we put in to make your company a great one, you wouldn't have such a huge revolving door of employees that don't care.