There are newer employer reviews for Sports Authority

Ridiculous Expectations Breeds a High Turnover Rate

Former Employee - Sales Authority in Lombard, IL
Former Employee - Sales Authority in Lombard, IL

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-- Some of the people you meet, you'll never forget
-- Decent pay (At least when it comes to minimum wage jobs)
-- A fast-paced environment which makes the time go by faster (Unless you're a cashier)
-- Very casual dress code (I ended up wearing tactical pants and a sweater since it was so cold in the store, and no one had any compunctions.)
-- A "Raving Fan" board. This is a corkboard in your workroom which people can post their congratulations or praise on, usually used by the managers to tell the workers that they're doing a good job. It's not the best kind of praise but it's nice to see that they're sort of trying.

Cons

-- High school environment. I was forced to fall back on old instincts when it came to cliques, rumors and hearsay that people tried to pass on to me and about me. The management doesn't answer to your issues about this; in fact, they promote it with the workers.
-- The sales goal is too high. They tell you it's $200, but what they don't tell you is that the $200 is reached by [Amount of your sale that week] / [Hours you worked.] This means if they give you 30 hours, to get to the $200 goal you need to sell $6000 that week. Also, $200 is the MINIMUM. Company standard is $250. Any lower than $200 (Which will happen to everyone) will get you called into the office.
-- The Loyalty percentage is also very high at %33. This means that at least %33 of your customers need to have been signed up for the Loyalty program at the end of the week or else you get written up. At my location, some of the people had been fired due to their loyalty rates. Even people who have GREAT sales are still harassed if their loyalty percentage is down. This also means that the customers get easily annoyed and barely want to talk to you, since you're forced to walk around with the flyers. Customers are usually asked to sign up for the Loyalty program at least twice (Once by the sales floor team and once by the cashier). It's frustrating.
-- VERY poor management. During the last week of my employment, I was forced to either not take a lunch and take it up with management or to beg for my lunch and have to wait until an hour before my shift ended.
-- There is no training involved. When I was hired they told me that "The first year of your employment is basically your training." The management refused to train me on the register since "They wanted me to focus on sales" and I was forced to ask how to do mostly everything. It breeds contempt and there is barely any room for improvement or advancement.
-- The management plays favorites. The night that I quit (Yes, I quit immediately after this happened), it was a Saturday night and I was the only person who was working Apparel (Which, as anyone will know if they worked with clothes in Retail at all, is always trashed on the weekends). We were all supposed to go home at 9:30 but when we gathered downstairs to go home after cleaning up, the manager sent EVERYONE BUT ME home to clean it up. My Sports Authority location is two floors high and has clothes on both floors. The manager proceeded to sit in the office while expecting me to clean up the entire store by myself, and wouldn't let me out until 10:30 that night (So I was on my own for an hour). She tried to make me stay until 12 AM, but I walked right out. It makes no sense to have sent everyone home but keep one person cleaning up a whole store 'til midnight.

-- WATCH YOUR MANAGERS. Barely any of them know what they're doing.
-- PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR WORKERS. They're being harassed right under your nose.
-- You ask for too much and give us too little. You need to re-evaluate a lot of your policies, especially when it comes to sales.

reviews filtered by
  1. Not satisfied

Former Employee - Cashier in Mount Prospect, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Mount Prospect, IL

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Sometimes there were good sales for employees. You will also probably make a few close friends.

Cons

They overwork and underpay their employees, and don't allow much flexibility at all. Hard and dedicated workers were not recognized at this company.

Great Team to work with...but with general issues

Current Employee - Cashier in Braintree, MA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Braintree, MA

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers in general, Decent pay, Decent hours

Cons

Loyalty cards are a pain. 30% of all transactions need have a loyalty rewards card attached to them or else you get written up.

Stop harassing the associates about free plastic cards. If customers don't want it, most of them aren't going to get it.

There are newer employer reviews for Sports Authority