Sports Authority is Growing, but I'm staying put

Current Employee - Operations Manager in East Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Operations Manager in East Palo Alto, CA

Pros

It was my first real job out of college. High volume stores at middle mngmt make you grow. I was able to transfer from the eastcoast to 2 different states and work at 4 locations within 4 years, all without losing a step.

Cons

while I've been content with the company overall. It was not until being passed over 3 times for a promotion and bringing external people into the company I chose to leave

Advice to Management

look at and coach your staff, so externals are not brought in

Other Employee Reviews for Sports Authority

Terrible Place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denton, TX

Pros

1. You get decent discounts on stuff. 2. Most the associates who work there are really cool and good people.

Cons

1. Management completely complains about you, no matter how good of a job you do. 2. They are completely incompetent and accuse you of making up "stories" of why you can't come in to work a certain day, even if you tell them far enough in advance. 3. Managers sit in the office and do nothing, and then come out to the floor and tell you that you do nothing. 4. Needless to say the Managers are lazy. 5. Been called a "piece of sh**" by a manager before. And has listened to the manager call other employees the same. 6. No matter how many ECP's you sell it is never good enough. 7. Payroll is always really tight. 8. If you want more hours they give you less hours, if you ask for days off they schedule you to work that day. 9. New store policy won't allow you to switch shifts with another employee in your department, which makes it difficult when the schedule is posted 1-2 days before the beginning of the week. 10. Managers can't even handle the dirty work themselves.

Advice to Management

Be flexible with the associates and their schedules. Most of us are college kids and are very busy. We understand you have a business to run, but we always try to find ways to have somebody cover for us, and yet you fail to understand that. Don't be afraid to do some work, and compliment the associates every once in a while and tell them they do a good job. It helps.

Solid company in need of more employee recognition/ ownership

Current Employee - Department Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Solid Company with a strong upper management philosophy to withstand these tough economic times. I think that they are commited to promoting from within whenever possible.

Cons

There is a lot of pressure to drive sales as well as perform numerous tasks throughout each week, however, I believe that in order to survive this rough economy, this pressure is probably necessary. Ads need to be run for more than one week when certain items continue to be on sale, this would save the company immensely just in the amount of paper and ink that are run through weekly not to mention the amount of time it takes to set an ad when time could be better spent driving sales.

Advice to Management

With a lack of payroll, I believe that employees are being stretched over a wide spectrum of duties. I think positive recognition and compensation is necessary to improve morale. Tasking is certainly important in any retail position, yet many times, especially in smaller stores, there is a difficult balance between getting directives completed and driving sales as we should be doing.