There are newer employer reviews for Sports Authority

Very fulfilling job at first but has been plagued by bad decisions by corporate.

Current Employee - Hardlines Manager  in  Woodbury, MN
Current Employee - Hardlines Manager in Woodbury, MN

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very fun work environment. You sell sports and talk about it all day..it's great.

Cons

Everything... Started off great but soon but after they purchased stadium rights it went downhill. They cut hours to compensate for the payments so no hours are available. As a manager I barely can get to 40 hours a week. Sometimes I need to use Vac time to compensate. Starting pay for manager is very low.

Corporate needs to give hours to lower volume stores

607 Other Employee Reviews for Sports Authority (View Most Recent)

Decent first job - career advancement nonexistant

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate/Lead  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate/Lead in Plano, TX

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Flexible hours
    - Friendly employees
    - Good vacation accumulation

Cons

- Sales are set to unrealistic measures
    - Poor to no training at all (as a sales associate. Cashiers are provided with minimal training.
    - Payroll is constantly being reduced - lack of staff causing project pitfalls and customer service issues.

Micromanage those training the new hires to ensure they are getting quality training rather than being thrown to the dogs prior to being adequately prepared. Recommendations for corporate: Step up the advertising in the southern regions. No TV ads? Are you kidding me? No wonder our traffic is poor, yet the store is only a year old.

Just the Service Desk portion of the I.T. department - 3 words: High. Turnover. Rate

Former Employee - Level I Help Desk (Now Service Desk) Technician  in  Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Level I Help Desk (Now Service Desk) Technician in Englewood, CO

I worked at Sports Authority full-time for less than a year

Pros

Discounts on sports good and clothing. Decent health plan.

Cons

If you're looking to work in a call center environment, and don't let your would-be job title fool you, it's a call center job, where you're always being pushed to do more work, using subpar equipment and outdated software that will never be upgraded because it's free to them, and working under lower management that is hyperfocused on meeting SLA's and documentation to the degree that is better suited for a law office, then Sports Authority's Service Desk division of the I.T. department is where you want to work.

There have been more people who have come and gone from that department than I have ever seen anywhere else I've worked. They have a ridiculously high turnover rate and now that I'm gone I understand why.

Lower management liberally throws around the feel good corporate buzzwords like "team" and "family" and "communication" (communication, by the way, is just another word for 'documentation to CYA'), and they have lovely little flowcharts to show you an alledged "promotion path" and you can even make suggestions on how to improve things (which will be formally acknowledged and then promptly ignored), but they deliver poorly with employee retention because they don't actually go to bat to improve working conditions, be they job-related, equipment-related, scheduling related, and they have severe tunnel vision regarding both their department's expenses(overtime is a horrid word, they're using old ticket management software that has to be run on a platform that is using an emulator of an old version of internet explorer and crashes half the time you use it on your old windows xp based pc) and their standards of practice to deliver better customer service, but then again, their customers are "just the store employees" (unless you're a company officer, THEN you'll actually see real customer service standards come into play) so, despite all their talk about how important the store employees are because "without them we don't make any money and we don't have jobs", it's all fluff.

After speaking with an external recruiter about this company, I was told that this high turnover rate is something done deliberately to keep long term costs down. During my time there, I've seen more than qualified individuals being fed through this department's turnover machine without so much as a second thought. I've seen people who have been there for a long time being passed over for promotions over others who have not been there as long, but had better "socializing with the boss" skills. Sociopaths and brown nosers who don't actually work will excel in this department and maybe the entire division. Lower management likes to take care of their own.

Oh, you may be interested to know that your Service Desk position will have an on-call element to it, even though they don't tell you that during the interview, and that lower management will try to get you to do their job for them when you need some time off but they need coverage.

Department morale takes a back seat to lower management's toe the party line goals.

Dear upper management. Do yourselves and your non-management employees a favor and fire everyone in lower management. They are not reporting to you what you really need to know, they're telling you what you want to hear simply keep their jobs. If you are not sociopathic yourselves, you will see how this will negatively affect both the quality of work you'll get from your employees as well as your ability to keep quality employees in your divisions.

There are newer employer reviews for Sports Authority

Worked for Sports Authority? Contribute to the Community!