There are newer employer reviews for Sports Authority

There is no company, only a collection of district : city-states. United by name only.

Former Employee - Corporate
Former Employee - Corporate

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The management discount is quite nice, as are side benefits offered by ski resorts and vendors that provide pro-forms. Most other employees are like minded.

Cons

ZERO corporate structure. Each district is its own wild west, using the rules and standards of it prospective manager, and not that of the corporate office. My position was moved to another location, which was offered to me however the cost of living was far higher and no compensation was offered to me. The company had very lousy benefits when I worked there.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to rope in the district manager, who often fire loyal employees to make room for friends. Job performance means little for your chances at promotion unless you are the personal friend of your superior - this must stop! Also repair your old stores, they are pathetic.

Other Employee Reviews for Sports Authority

Overworked and stressful work conditions for Store Managers.

Current Employee - Store Manager in North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-selling sporting goods -good lower level people.

Cons

-no holiday pay -expect you to work 75 plus hours a week -district and regional managers don't live in reality. -measurable goals that are not attainable. -bonus program on really attainable for new stores with low goals -priorities are never consistent -district and regional managers do NOT appreciate hard work -payroll doesn't align with work load. -work life balance no existent. -

Advice to Management

Pay your store managers competitively. Stop managing by fear and live in reality.

2. Very fulfilling job at first but has been plagued by bad decisions by corporate.

Current Employee - Hardlines Manager in Woodbury, MN
    Current Employee - Hardlines Manager in Woodbury, MN

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very fun work environment. You sell sports and talk about it all day..it's great.

Cons

Everything... Started off great but soon but after they purchased stadium rights it went downhill. They cut hours to compensate for the payments so no hours are available. As a manager I barely can get to 40 hours a week. Sometimes I need to use Vac time to compensate. Starting pay for manager is very low.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to give hours to lower volume stores