A company stuck in the 90's

Former Employee - General Manager in Edison, NJ
Former Employee - General Manager in Edison, NJ

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount. Everything else is a joke.

Cons

Mindless paperwork , audits and upper management that is bleeding the company.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all the dead wood, district managers. Care more about your employees. Stop with all the operational junk, sales are what is important. NOT PAPERWORK. Get rid of the Asett protection people, all they are is sales prevention. Come off the high horse. Make sure HR is actually employee friendly.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

There is no company, only a collection of district : city-states. United by name only.

Former Employee - Corporate
    Former Employee - Corporate

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The management discount is quite nice, as are side benefits offered by ski resorts and vendors that provide pro-forms. Most other employees are like minded.

Cons

ZERO corporate structure. Each district is its own wild west, using the rules and standards of it prospective manager, and not that of the corporate office. My position was moved to another location, which was offered to me however the cost of living was far higher and no compensation was offered to me. The company had very lousy benefits when I worked there.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to rope in the district manager, who often fire loyal employees to make room for friends. Job performance means little for your chances at promotion unless you are the personal friend of your superior - this must stop! Also repair your old stores, they are pathetic.

2. Very fulfilling job at first but has been plagued by bad decisions by corporate.

Current Employee - Hardlines Manager in Woodbury, MN
    Current Employee - Hardlines Manager in Woodbury, MN

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very fun work environment. You sell sports and talk about it all day..it's great.

Cons

Everything... Started off great but soon but after they purchased stadium rights it went downhill. They cut hours to compensate for the payments so no hours are available. As a manager I barely can get to 40 hours a week. Sometimes I need to use Vac time to compensate. Starting pay for manager is very low.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to give hours to lower volume stores