TSA

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Fort Worth, TX
Current Employee - Operations Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

The work is great. Merchandising, selling, etc. on the sales floor is a breath of fresh air compared to the way other places do things. You're encouraged to sell, but never pushed to lie to the customer to make the sale. For the most part people realize that earning customer loyalty by giving them pressure-free help is much better in the long run than trying to hustle people to make a quick buck.

Cons

Starting out pay for a manager is 12.65, which is low. I'd make more as an assistant manager at the local Taco Bell than do as an Operations Manager here. As an Ops Manager I make the "manager's minimum wage" of 12.65, and our hardlines manager makes 16.00 an hour, which doesn't sit well. (For the non-TSA folks, an ops manager is generally kind of an assistant store manager, and usually considered a promotion from managing hardlines/softlines, so for the ops position to be paid significantly less money than the positions below it is a slap in the face.) There is also a startlingly huge amount of internal theft, and an equally startling amount of apathy towards it. Our store manager refuses to fire anyone for stealing, no matter how ironclad the evidence against the thief is, which unsurprisingly encourages theft even more. However I hope that that reaction is only in the one store and that most store managers would not react that way.

Advice to Management

I don't have much in the way of advice. If they want to increase sales, they need to increase the amount spent on advertising. If they want to increase happiness and loyalty among the store-level associates and managers, they need to raise their pay.

reviews filtered by

It's a crapshoot

Current Employee - Department Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

a nice "cost +10%" discount for store management and above.
    Great people, who are fun to work with
    flexible time-off

Cons

It all depends on your reporting structure. There are still some managers out there that understand that their people are their best asset--and show it on a routine basis. Unfortunately, there is a mix of burnouts--people that have been working here for 10+ years at the same level and sometimes at the same store--and a bunch of newly promoted managers who haven't been properly trained. These associates sometimes mishandle certain situations and end up fostering bad morale in stores.

Advice to Management

The single biggest thing that TSA can do to improve is INVEST in professional management training and not rely on an "each one teach one" philosophy. The second would be to allow store-level management more flexibility in making decisions within their 4 walls--we shouldn't have to jump throw 6 hoops, 3 phone calls, 10 emails and wait 2 weeks to get something simple done. Lastly associate pay could be better--it would improve retention, and allow us to recruit better salespeople.

2. Working at the Sports Authority

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Working with sporting goods, decent discount, average pay, flexible scheduling, working with decent people minus management. That's about all I can say that was legitimate about TSA.

Cons

It's no wonder why the store I worked at closed recently. There are so many problems with this company's sales philosophy. All they care about is selling their scam of a warranty plan to customers who don't understand why they would need insurance on a 30 dollar pair of sneakers. If they had spent more time pushing big ticket items like bikes or exercise equipment rather than harassing associates to sell a pair of ten dollar insoles or sneaker balls my store may have stayed in business. The sales goals they set for employees are beyond ridiculous considering the low traffic many nights. The managers would get together just to badmouth their associates. Employee morale is low due to constant threats of write ups and termination because nobody wants an insole for a brand new pair of shoes. It got to a point where management actually told me to look in customers carts at what they had in there to find items to suggest to add on. From the minute they walk in the door to the checkout line customers are harassed about the ECP program. Company slashed payroll every week and schedules had to be reprinted during the work week with no advanced notice of changes. TSA got so desperate to get us to sell that they wanted us to formally introduce ourselves to each and every customer at which point I could take no more of working there another day. Basically sports authority just doesn't do good business and its surprising DICKS hasnt taken them over by now (although the dicks in the same town as us ran my store right out of business for obvious reasons-they're simply the superior sports retailer.)

Advice to Management

Drop operation bigfoot and focus on hardlines products. Promote from within and dont give the store manager position to someone who has no more than a high school diploma.