Sports Authority

TSA

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Fort Worth, TX
Current Employee - Operations Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

The work is great. Merchandising, selling, etc. on the sales floor is a breath of fresh air compared to the way other places do things. You're encouraged to sell, but never pushed to lie to the customer to make the sale. For the most part people realize that earning customer loyalty by giving them pressure-free help is much better in the long run than trying to hustle people to make a quick buck.

Cons

Starting out pay for a manager is 12.65, which is low. I'd make more as an assistant manager at the local Taco Bell than do as an Operations Manager here. As an Ops Manager I make the "manager's minimum wage" of 12.65, and our hardlines manager makes 16.00 an hour, which doesn't sit well. (For the non-TSA folks, an ops manager is generally kind of an assistant store manager, and usually considered a promotion from managing hardlines/softlines, so for the ops position to be paid significantly less money than the positions below it is a slap in the face.) There is also a startlingly huge amount of internal theft, and an equally startling amount of apathy towards it. Our store manager refuses to fire anyone for stealing, no matter how ironclad the evidence against the thief is, which unsurprisingly encourages theft even more. However I hope that that reaction is only in the one store and that most store managers would not react that way.

I don't have much in the way of advice. If they want to increase sales, they need to increase the amount spent on advertising. If they want to increase happiness and loyalty among the store-level associates and managers, they need to raise their pay.

666 Other Employee Reviews for Sports Authority (View Most Recent)

It's a crapshoot

Current Employee - Department Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

a nice "cost +10%" discount for store management and above.
    Great people, who are fun to work with
    flexible time-off

Cons

It all depends on your reporting structure. There are still some managers out there that understand that their people are their best asset--and show it on a routine basis. Unfortunately, there is a mix of burnouts--people that have been working here for 10+ years at the same level and sometimes at the same store--and a bunch of newly promoted managers who haven't been properly trained. These associates sometimes mishandle certain situations and end up fostering bad morale in stores.

The single biggest thing that TSA can do to improve is INVEST in professional management training and not rely on an "each one teach one" philosophy. The second would be to allow store-level management more flexibility in making decisions within their 4 walls--we shouldn't have to jump throw 6 hoops, 3 phone calls, 10 emails and wait 2 weeks to get something simple done. Lastly associate pay could be better--it would improve retention, and allow us to recruit better salespeople.

terrible

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

the management discount thats givin(at cost plus 10%)

Cons

inconsistent on how employees are treated and held accountable.unfair performance evaluations,unrealistic goals to meet under economic times and store budgets.no indebt interviews before giving a potential new hire the responsibilities in running a store.(there hiring process is terrible)no follow up on training and growth for employees who want to grow.negative atmosphere in a store that promotes sports merchandise.poor buying power from the buyers.merchandising in the store does not reflect real time.high turnovers.

learn from your competitors,your employeess,(especially the ones that have been in retail management over 20 years)dicks sporting goods will definetly will be the leader for customers looking for thier sporting goods needs.and employees wanting to work for a better run company.(and i never been inside a dicks sporting goods store)i just see how the company is run and have outside testimony.and done research.

There are newer employer reviews for Sports Authority