Good while in School

Former Employee - Cash Lead
Former Employee - Cash Lead

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked getting a discount on merchandise and being able to see the latest products come out.

Cons

Corporate is constantly changing their strategy. Every few months they would launch some new program that would supposedly make Sports Authority the best. Incentive programs didn't work and were frustrating. Also there was too much focus put on customer service surveys.

Advice to Management

Focus internally instead of trying to focus externally. Happy employees are more likely to make customers happy.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Not the worst but not the best either.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great employee discount, flexible schedules, good part time job for a college student. they've always been great at scheduling my hours so they dont conflict with my college hours.

Cons

managers lie to the customers to sell ecp and to get high scores on the surveys, they make a huge deal about the rewards card making us force customers who don't want to sign up to get them, favoritism towards employees who sell a lot of ECP to the point where a newer employee who sells a lot of ECP will get promoted faster than somebody who's been there for years but sells a ECP a bit less frequently. Some cash leads think that because they're a lead they run the place and can scream at other associates.

2. It's a job at least.

Current Employee - Visual/Merchandising Associate
    Current Employee - Visual/Merchandising Associate

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good discount (cost +15%), Flexible scheduling, Willing to give most people at least a chance.

Cons

Sports Authority is consistently inconsistent. The important metric that we are tracking never seems to be the same from week to week. Communication to outlying stores is as minimal as possible. Training is generally laughable at best. The district manager and higher up in the company have no idea what actually happens at the store level. Full time apparently means 32 hours a week because we can't get any more payroll then that. Small stores are treated just like large stores in regards to tracked metrics and rarely do they work based off a percentage to make the playing field level. Cash leads act like they are better than every other associate and management allows it.

Advice to Management

Your ability to communicate is essential and it seems like often, you forget how to at all levels of management. You need to get a hold of and improve employee morale. Also, when a management spot finally opens, it's a slap to the face to not even talk to the associates with years of experience and instead hire from outside the company.