There are newer employer reviews for Sports Authority

Sports Authority

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bridgeton, MO
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bridgeton, MO

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Organized, task detailed, good communication, overall great company to work for.

Cons

As in all retail, short staffed, low payroll hours, etc.

Good company to work for.

635 Other Employee Reviews for Sports Authority (View Most Recent)

Essentially a full-time job, without the benefits or weekends; takes your life and your soul

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pros are some of the coworkers and customers, who I come across everyday. As a former semi-serious athlete, it is gratifying to help people navigate the store's brands, styles, and technologies. I feel like I am doing them good in this aspect.

Cons

Upon being hired, I requested as many hours as possible. For the past few months, I've worked 36-39 hours each week, only having two days-off in a row once. This is not considered a full-time employment, and thus, no benefits or anything, and yet I find that even on my days off I can't stop dreading the next day's work. Work every weekend.

Job is all about numbers. I am expected to sign up 40% of customers who don't have a rewards card with one. If some kid buys a pack of gum, it goes against my numbers. Also, if I help a customer, and am credited with the 'sale' by the cashier, and that person does not elect to sign up for a rewards card, that goes against my number. Manager has advised me to start signing people up at the register, without their awareness that I'm doing so. "It's good for them."

"We pay you to shop" . . . $5 off, after spending $100, is hardly paying somebody to shop. If a customer wants to keep their rewards coming, they must spend at least $100 per each 3-month period. The $5 off ends up covering about 1/2 of the tax on their next $100 purchase.

Sell Extended Coverage Packages (ECPs) on everything and anything they can. Company insures a box of shuttlecocks, a $10 soccer ball, and a $15 pair of swim goggles. It is a third party that does this. We are expected to sell one of these each day as sales associates. I've found that much of the management uses scare tactics with the customers to get them to buy them.

If I am off the clock, I am off the clock. I don't care that the phone is ringing. I'm not legally obliged to answer it or do anything that could be considered work. And about those breaks. Get with the states worker's rights laws . . .

If the Loyalty program is indeed about the customers, create a system that saves their information. Nothing is more infuriating than having someone spend 5 minutes at the register on their smart phones, trying to look up their points, only to find that the $7 is expired, or 'the page can not be loaded at this time'. Sure, the company would earn a little less, but it would eliminate the "this is ridiculous, agitated" state people which some people leave in.

Where is the incentive for a customer to use AOS if the order is >$50, and thus is qualified for free shipping already?

Friendly yet unorganized

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Commack, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Commack, NY

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discounts were great, People who worked there were friendly and nice, management was friendly and understanding, good employees were rewarded for their work at times

Cons

Management was unorganized at times, frequently the store was understaffed and customers grew frustrated with the few employees that were working

Need to become more organized, have to staff more individuals to meet the needs of the customers

There are newer employer reviews for Sports Authority