There are newer employer reviews for Sports Authority

It started out great now I dread going to work everyday

Current Employee - Footwear Specialist
Current Employee - Footwear Specialist

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

- Great employee discount year round with a special managers discount given two times a year. - The regular sales associates have become some of my best friends. - I love the equipment I work with - The knowledge I gained in my training from another associate, not management

Cons

- Their current focus on productivity. I work at the smallest store in the district and as an authority I have to have a $300 per hour minimum, when authorities at the larger stores in the district can't meet that goal how do you expect me too? - DM giving Yankee tickets to an authority who cheats the system. Just because you "sticker" boxes doesn't mean you actually helped that person & all the cashiers put in your employee number regardless of who actually helped that person. - All of a sudden my job performance isn't good enough and my job has been threatened because of my "sales" numbers. - When I started in this company I was put in footwear because I had knowledge of the product, now this job has turned into a "non commission sales" job. - I can't "sell" to people who aren't in the building. Don't yell at me when I don't meet the minimum when the store "dies" at 6pm every night.

Advice to Management

When I first was hired at Sports Authority I LOVED my job. It was the perfect environment for me. Now I can't sleep because I'm actually thinking about how to get my productivity up because I'm scared of losing my job. You expect all associates to get 100% on CEIs but when you threaten their job and make them miserable how do you expect them to be happy.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. not a great place to work

I worked at Sports Authority

Pros

great discount the sell good products

Cons

long work hours not good quality of life upper management does not seem to care too much about its associates.

Advice to Management

listen to feed back from your associates, they are the ones in the stores. without them there would be no company. let store managers determine how to schedule associates within their stores instead of regional managers dictating when certain associates should be working. store managers are in the building day in and day out, they understand the needs of the store better then anyone else. what's best for one store might not be best for another depending on clientele, store volume, amount of payroll etc. regional managers seem to do what only benefits them and not their managers working in the stores.

2. Ugh

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Working with most customers is fun. Relationships made with other associates

Cons

Almost no possibility for advancement, Managers will tell you anything to get to do your job even though they won't follow through with it. Have worked for 2.5 yrs for this company and not once have i received any real training on products, but am expected to explain the pros and cons to every customer.

Advice to Management

Take time to work with and explain things to associates. If you say you are going to train someone on how to do something then you need to follow through with it. Don't tell the stores to do one thing and then a week later come back and tell us to go back to the way that it was in the past (happens every few weeks.)