could be better

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Scottsdale, AZ
Current Employee - Department Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

first and foremost would be the discount that dept mgrs receive. cost +10% on all purchases. I'm a bit of a sports gear junkie, and I have utilized my discount far too often. Most of the time, it's a fun place to work, good people to work with, fun interacting with customers trying to find them the best equipment for their needs, decent pay I guess (don't know what similar stores offer for similar position). Being a dept mgr means guaranteed 40+ hours a week.

Cons

Never the same schedule from one week to the next. Not saying I want M-F 9-5, but a little consistency would be nice.
Corporate has wildly unrealistic expectations for what we can get done on a day-to-day basis with their expectations of meeting payroll goal. They want so much, yet expect us to get by with so little. I'm totally on board with receiving "highly satisfied" CEI scores, but when you slash payroll to the point where there's 1 or sometimes NO people covering a department, how do you expect customers to get enough help to be "highly satisfied"?
Communication between store mgr and dept mgrs is horrible, but could be just at my store, as I have never worked anywhere else or for another store mgr.
Training is also horrible. I came into this position having never worked at SA or any "big box" store before, and was appalled at the complete lack of training I received. The store mgr always said "just ask if you have any questions." how the hell do I know what to ask when you won't tell me what I'm supposed to be doing?

Give up a few $$$ of payroll if you expect such high "overall satisfaction" scores.
LMS courses are ok for giving a new associate a little bit of info, but hardly enough to make one an "authority" in their department. Some "hands-on" training would be nice. Or a little more $$$ in payroll to get someone trained correctly before they are shoved out onto the floor and expected to perform.
Don't make CEI scores and ECP penetration the "end-all, be-all" of an associate's or a store's job performance. There are intangibles that can only be measured by an attentive dept mgr or store mgr.