There are newer employer reviews for Sports Direct

An experience to say the least

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Leicester, England (UK)
Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at sports direct helps you appreciate how hard it can be in customer service (since most of the customers are rude). You get the chance to meet some great co workers, however the managers tend to lack the skills to carry out their role.

Cons

Hard to name specific cons, however useless managers would be one of them. Sales targets are ridiculous and 'investigations' into why you are a rubbish salesperson only make you feel like more of a failure. Perhaps instead of hiring staff who can't tell the difference between an adult hanger and junior hanger, they should hire more people with common sense and some working braincells.

Look closer at how much work some managers actually do, all they seem to do is boss cast staff around and take cigarette breaks. Focus on bags for life is ridiculous and the reason they dont sell well is because they are not attractive and customers already have tons. Maybe also require new staff to take maths and english tests - alot of staff have no common sense so also some scenarios to filter out idiots.

reviews filtered by

Poorly run store, however good opportunities

Former Employee - Shoe Supervisor in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Shoe Supervisor in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Career opportunities are always opening up, UK and europe. zero hour contracts are helpful for students who need time off to go 'home' or for exam periods.

Cons

career development from management team is close to zero as I have ever experienced. staff discount is only 15% and is pretty poor compared to other retailers who off 20% student discount.

Spend more time developing internal staff than trying to bring in externals who don't know how the company works

The worse company I have ever been with

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Reading, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First job, general customer service skills

Cons

0 hour contracts, pay was the same even when i became a senior member of staff. I ended up working 18 hour days sometimes whilst doing stock take, in a non-air conditioned shop. Managers swore all the time, once held a pair of scissors up to me. i decided to leave the shop that day raised a formal grievance with no out come. I then decided to hand my notice in as I was given no opportunity to progress

Go undercover review all your stores. make your work place a better environment no need for so much stock making you feel claustrophobic. Train all your managers on complaints handling and how to treat customers fairly.

There are newer employer reviews for Sports Direct