There are newer employer reviews for Sports Direct

Sportsdirect.com UK's number one!

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Hartlepool, England (UK)
Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Hartlepool, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Able to have a life such as going to uni and a job with a reasonable pay at the side. Also helps with confidence when working with customers and making friends with other employees.

Cons

0hr contract meaning you never know if your going to be work all week or even just one day and KPI's having to get a certain percentage everyday.

Advice to Management

More to hours to the staff who make the effort instead of sharing them out with employers who stand around.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Frustrating and stressful.

Current Employee - Cast in Stevenage, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Cast in Stevenage, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The main pros are the people. Some of the people you meet in the store are great fun to be with and make the working hours easier to bear. I also feel like my own confidence shot up since I started working with the company.

Cons

I could only mention a few. But the main con is your performance (and in my case hours) being measured purely on KPI's which are little add-ons that you have to offer every customer. If you don't sell enough You'll be told your performance is poor and your not doing your job. Even if you put 110% effort in, if people don't agree to buying your add-ons, you will be told you are doing a poor job. and chances are having your hours cut, which brings me to my next point: 0 hour contracts. I'm not guaranteed any hours at all from week to week. While the contract can be helpful for students who need additional time off, for people needing a job to make money/support others. It's a rocky road without a guaranteed income. One month I can make £600 easily. The next month I may be struggling with only £300. And this is more personal, but being here for 4-5 years and I've not moved through the company AT all. I'm stuck being a CAST member unless I leave. I haven't been given any opportunities and no-one seems to want to give me them.

Advice to Management

Stop with the push on KPI's! Having them is a good idea, but the way they are being pushed is just makes work life stressful for both CAST and management. I know people are putting the effort you want them to put in and then not getting results, being passed off as poor performance just because customers didn't want a magazine. If it gets to the point when people are always leaving the work place depressed and not wanting to come to work, there is something really wrong.

2. Zero hour contract the problem

Former Contractor - Casual Sales Assistant in Bury, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

No chance of company going bust, friendly people.

Cons

zero hour contracts make it a pressured environment. Have to constantly upsell the dam bag.Customers aren't the best. Received a lot of abuse, store wasn't really that organised

Advice to Management

Get rid of zero hour contracts. They are awful. Try and create a more friendly atmosphere. No team building whatsoever so it was very every man for himself.