There are newer employer reviews for Sports Direct

Bonus obsessed culture Regionals and area managers wouldn't survive in a commercial driven retailer.

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sports Direct full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Store teams remain positive even though the pressure on them at all times is unbearable.

Cons

Lack of training and development.
Investment in wages is poor all to protect the profit pot, Store teams expected to work way beyond an acceptable level including extra hours unpaid.

Advice to Management

Can only hope that the retail team get changed at some point and Is lead by a strong retailer who wants to change the business and culture for the good of the company.

reviews filtered by

The worse company I have ever been with

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Reading, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First job, general customer service skills

Cons

0 hour contracts, pay was the same even when i became a senior member of staff. I ended up working 18 hour days sometimes whilst doing stock take, in a non-air conditioned shop. Managers swore all the time, once held a pair of scissors up to me. i decided to leave the shop that day raised a formal grievance with no out come. I then decided to hand my notice in as I was given no opportunity to progress

Advice to Management

Go undercover review all your stores. make your work place a better environment no need for so much stock making you feel claustrophobic. Train all your managers on complaints handling and how to treat customers fairly.

2. An experience to say the least

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at sports direct helps you appreciate how hard it can be in customer service (since most of the customers are rude). You get the chance to meet some great co workers, however the managers tend to lack the skills to carry out their role.

Cons

Hard to name specific cons, however useless managers would be one of them. Sales targets are ridiculous and 'investigations' into why you are a rubbish salesperson only make you feel like more of a failure. Perhaps instead of hiring staff who can't tell the difference between an adult hanger and junior hanger, they should hire more people with common sense and some working braincells.

Advice to Management

Look closer at how much work some managers actually do, all they seem to do is boss cast staff around and take cigarette breaks. Focus on bags for life is ridiculous and the reason they dont sell well is because they are not attractive and customers already have tons. Maybe also require new staff to take maths and english tests - alot of staff have no common sense so also some scenarios to filter out idiots.