There are newer employer reviews for Sports Direct

Zero hour contract the problem

Former Contractor - Casual Sales Assistant in Bury, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

No chance of company going bust, friendly people.

Cons

zero hour contracts make it a pressured environment. Have to constantly upsell the dam bag.Customers aren't the best. Received a lot of abuse, store wasn't really that organised

Advice to Management

Get rid of zero hour contracts. They are awful. Try and create a more friendly atmosphere. No team building whatsoever so it was very every man for himself.

Other Employee Reviews for Sports Direct

Poorly run store, however good opportunities

Former Employee - Shoe Supervisor in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Shoe Supervisor in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Career opportunities are always opening up, UK and europe. zero hour contracts are helpful for students who need time off to go 'home' or for exam periods.

Cons

career development from management team is close to zero as I have ever experienced. staff discount is only 15% and is pretty poor compared to other retailers who off 20% student discount.

Advice to Management

Spend more time developing internal staff than trying to bring in externals who don't know how the company works

Akin to working in a sweatshop

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First job, so allowed me to gain retail experience. Hours were flexible, so I could fit the job around college without it infringing upon my work.

Cons

Zero hour contract meant that sometimes, I'd only get 3 hours per week. As I had a car, earning £80 in a month was not really beneficial. The managers were nice people in my store, but there was a distinct lack of organisation. For example, most of the store's staff would be placed on tills, leaving me on the shopfloor on my own, and sometimes I was expected to split the queues (which made little sense to me, as I was not working anywhere near them). One of the supervisors was highly unprofessional, refusing to let me go home until ridiculous requests were fulfilled and behaved in a very condescending manner towards me. I didn't really feel welcomed by most of my colleagues, as they seemed to look down on me for having ambition and not doing their work on top of mine. Stock was blocking fire exits and the early morning exit, a severe health and safety risk. Metal delivery cages were left on the shop floor during trading hours, which meant that certain items couldn't be retrieved for customers. The radio communication system is good in theory; however, there were not enough to go around, and you were often verbally abused if you did not answer straight away (dealing with a customer means, to me, they are the priority). Staff room was the shoe store cupboard, whereby broken chairs and over-flowing bins were kept. There were no opportunities for progression either, and the pay, although minimum wage, was not good, particularly if you had bills to pay. Staff discount apparently only applied on Thursdays, and even on this day, I never received my discount.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate the effectiveness of the zero hour contracts. Send in Regional members of staff to carry out the 'mystery shopper' task , because I don't think it is quite understood how poor the working conditions actually are.