There are newer employer reviews for Sports Direct

Different to other employers!

Former Employee - Zero Hour Sales Assistant in Sheffield, England (UK)
Former Employee - Zero Hour Sales Assistant in Sheffield, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The place was a good place to meet new friends as most people (non-management) were friendly and approachable.

Cons

pay, zero hour contracts, treat like rubbish, poor management

Advice to Management

Working for sports direct was a very disatisfying opportunity as the management were poor and lacked empathy and leadership skills. They only wanted what was best for themselves and treat every member of staff underneath them like garbage. Knowing we got paid for every 15 minutes we was there was also disgusting, as if we finished at 9pm, management used to make us clock out at 9:14pm, so we wouldn't get paid for the near enough 15 minutes we had worked. I once stayed at the till until it turned to 9:15pm, as I knew the situation and was told rather rudely by a manager to get from behind the till and go home as they knew what I was doing, and said they would deduct the full 15 minutes from my wage for what I had done. I was fine with having to be checked on the way out of the shop, once leaving post shift, but having a manager (a male one at that) asking to lift my top up and my trouser legs to make sure there was nothing I had stolen was a bit disgusting. The zero hour contracts are also a poor way of treating your staff as who wants to work for people who have no respect for their staff, on minumum wage with no guarantee of any hours every week? I felt belittled as the management used to talk to me like I lacked social skills and had no IQ. I arrived late for my shift once and only once and after been on 40 hours a week for quite some time, I was cut to 3 hours a week and this is why I quit. People go to work to be treated fairly (given they show management respect too, which I ensure I did!), and to know they have a stable job with a proper wage at the end of every month. No one can build a life or make any stability in their life when working for Sports Direct as your hours were not promised from one week to the next!

Other Employee Reviews for Sports Direct

1. Bonus obsessed culture Regionals and area managers wouldn't survive in a commercial driven retailer.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sports Direct full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Store teams remain positive even though the pressure on them at all times is unbearable.

Cons

Lack of training and development. Investment in wages is poor all to protect the profit pot, Store teams expected to work way beyond an acceptable level including extra hours unpaid.

Advice to Management

Can only hope that the retail team get changed at some point and Is lead by a strong retailer who wants to change the business and culture for the good of the company.

Poorly run store, however good opportunities

Former Employee - Shoe Supervisor in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Shoe Supervisor in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Career opportunities are always opening up, UK and europe. zero hour contracts are helpful for students who need time off to go 'home' or for exam periods.

Cons

career development from management team is close to zero as I have ever experienced. staff discount is only 15% and is pretty poor compared to other retailers who off 20% student discount.

Advice to Management

Spend more time developing internal staff than trying to bring in externals who don't know how the company works