Worse company ever

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. The only decent thing was the other people were nice and a made some friends. But that really does not out weigh the cons.

Cons

Everything. Management was pervy and sleazy and just disgusting. Perved on customers and the workers. I was quite young when I worked there so I really didn't know how to handle the situation. Made you stay way past your shift without paying you. Treated you really bad, couldn't even speak to your co-workers. Just a disgraceful company. I would never ever tell anyone to apply there. The pay isn't even worth it, esp if you are under 18.

Advice to Management

From what I see when I go into the store, its still the same, workers looked stress and unhappy. Managers need to be trained better and not take advantage of young staff. Also the pay is rubbish so that should be fixed. And clothes are hung too high up.

Other Employee Reviews for Sports Direct

1. Different to other employers!

Former Employee - Zero Hour Sales Assistant in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Zero Hour Sales Assistant in Sheffield, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The place was a good place to meet new friends as most people (non-management) were friendly and approachable.

Cons

pay, zero hour contracts, treat like rubbish, poor management

Advice to Management

Working for sports direct was a very disatisfying opportunity as the management were poor and lacked empathy and leadership skills. They only wanted what was best for themselves and treat every member of staff underneath them like garbage. Knowing we got paid for every 15 minutes we was there was also disgusting, as if we finished at 9pm, management used to make us clock out at 9:14pm, so we wouldn't get paid for the near enough 15 minutes we had worked. I once stayed at the till until it turned to 9:15pm, as I knew the situation and was told rather rudely by a manager to get from behind the till and go home as they knew what I was doing, and said they would deduct the full 15 minutes from my wage for what I had done. I was fine with having to be checked on the way out of the shop, once leaving post shift, but having a manager (a male one at that) asking to lift my top up and my trouser legs to make sure there was nothing I had stolen was a bit disgusting. The zero hour contracts are also a poor way of treating your staff as who wants to work for people who have no respect for their staff, on minumum wage with no guarantee of any hours every week? I felt belittled as the management used to talk to me like I lacked social skills and had no IQ. I arrived late for my shift once and only once and after been on 40 hours a week for quite some time, I was cut to 3 hours a week and this is why I quit. People go to work to be treated fairly (given they show management respect too, which I ensure I did!), and to know they have a stable job with a proper wage at the end of every month. No one can build a life or make any stability in their life when working for Sports Direct as your hours were not promised from one week to the next!

2. Frustrating and stressful.

Current Employee - Cast in Stevenage, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Cast in Stevenage, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The main pros are the people. Some of the people you meet in the store are great fun to be with and make the working hours easier to bear. I also feel like my own confidence shot up since I started working with the company.

Cons

I could only mention a few. But the main con is your performance (and in my case hours) being measured purely on KPI's which are little add-ons that you have to offer every customer. If you don't sell enough You'll be told your performance is poor and your not doing your job. Even if you put 110% effort in, if people don't agree to buying your add-ons, you will be told you are doing a poor job. and chances are having your hours cut, which brings me to my next point: 0 hour contracts. I'm not guaranteed any hours at all from week to week. While the contract can be helpful for students who need additional time off, for people needing a job to make money/support others. It's a rocky road without a guaranteed income. One month I can make £600 easily. The next month I may be struggling with only £300. And this is more personal, but being here for 4-5 years and I've not moved through the company AT all. I'm stuck being a CAST member unless I leave. I haven't been given any opportunities and no-one seems to want to give me them.

Advice to Management

Stop with the push on KPI's! Having them is a good idea, but the way they are being pushed is just makes work life stressful for both CAST and management. I know people are putting the effort you want them to put in and then not getting results, being passed off as poor performance just because customers didn't want a magazine. If it gets to the point when people are always leaving the work place depressed and not wanting to come to work, there is something really wrong.