Sports Direct

www.sportsdirect.com
  www.sportsdirect.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sports Direct

Worse company ever

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (less than an year)

Pros

None. The only decent thing was the other people were nice and a made some friends. But that really does not out weigh the cons.

Cons

Everything. Management was pervy and sleazy and just disgusting. Perved on customers and the workers. I was quite young when I worked there so I really didn't know how to handle the situation. Made you stay way past your shift without paying you. Treated you really bad, couldn't even speak to your co-workers. Just a disgraceful company. I would never ever tell anyone to apply there. The pay isn't even worth it, esp if you are under 18.

From what I see when I go into the store, its still the same, workers looked stress and unhappy. Managers need to be trained better and not take advantage of young staff. Also the pay is rubbish so that should be fixed. And clothes are hung too high up.

108 Other Employee Reviews for Sports Direct (View Most Recent)

Different to other employers!

Former Employee - Zero Hour Sales Assistant in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Zero Hour Sales Assistant in Sheffield, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The place was a good place to meet new friends as most people (non-management) were friendly and approachable.

Cons

pay, zero hour contracts, treat like rubbish, poor management

Working for sports direct was a very disatisfying opportunity as the management were poor and lacked empathy and leadership skills. They only wanted what was best for themselves and treat every member of staff underneath them like garbage. Knowing we got paid for every 15 minutes we was there was also disgusting, as if we finished at 9pm, management used to make us clock out at 9:14pm, so we wouldn't get paid for the near enough 15 minutes we had worked. I once stayed at the till until it turned to 9:15pm, as I knew the situation and was told rather rudely by a manager to get from behind the till and go home as they knew what I was doing, and said they would deduct the full 15 minutes from my wage for what I had done.
     I was fine with having to be checked on the way out of the shop, once leaving post shift, but having a manager (a male one at that) asking to lift my top up and my trouser legs to make sure there was nothing I had stolen was a bit disgusting.
    The zero hour contracts are also a poor way of treating your staff as who wants to work for people who have no respect for their staff, on minumum wage with no guarantee of any hours every week? I felt belittled as the management used to talk to me like I lacked social skills and had no IQ. I arrived late for my shift once and only once and after been on 40 hours a week for quite some time, I was cut to 3 hours a week and this is why I quit. People go to work to be treated fairly (given they show management respect too, which I ensure I did!), and to know they have a stable job with a proper wage at the end of every month. No one can build a life or make any stability in their life when working for Sports Direct as your hours were not promised from one week to the next!

Akin to working in a sweatshop

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (less than an year)

Pros

First job, so allowed me to gain retail experience. Hours were flexible, so I could fit the job around college without it infringing upon my work.

Cons

Zero hour contract meant that sometimes, I'd only get 3 hours per week. As I had a car, earning £80 in a month was not really beneficial. The managers were nice people in my store, but there was a distinct lack of organisation. For example, most of the store's staff would be placed on tills, leaving me on the shopfloor on my own, and sometimes I was expected to split the queues (which made little sense to me, as I was not working anywhere near them). One of the supervisors was highly unprofessional, refusing to let me go home until ridiculous requests were fulfilled and behaved in a very condescending manner towards me. I didn't really feel welcomed by most of my colleagues, as they seemed to look down on me for having ambition and not doing their work on top of mine. Stock was blocking fire exits and the early morning exit, a severe health and safety risk. Metal delivery cages were left on the shop floor during trading hours, which meant that certain items couldn't be retrieved for customers. The radio communication system is good in theory; however, there were not enough to go around, and you were often verbally abused if you did not answer straight away (dealing with a customer means, to me, they are the priority). Staff room was the shoe store cupboard, whereby broken chairs and over-flowing bins were kept. There were no opportunities for progression either, and the pay, although minimum wage, was not good, particularly if you had bills to pay. Staff discount apparently only applied on Thursdays, and even on this day, I never received my discount.

Re-evaluate the effectiveness of the zero hour contracts. Send in Regional members of staff to carry out the 'mystery shopper' task , because I don't think it is quite understood how poor the working conditions actually are.

There are newer employer reviews for Sports Direct