Fun, interesting, and fast paced

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Spotify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, great product, with a lot of new ideas in the pipeline.
Everyone is open to ideas and suggestions, you can contributed as much as you are able to, and your are only encouraged to take on responsibility. Teams are extremely autonomous.
Benefits are second to none, lunch and snacks are great! Free Beer.

Cons

Lots of teams with their own plans, coordinating timelines, releases and features is/can be a challenge.
You don't always know what other teams are working on, and how far along their projects might be (there is no secrecy, you can talk to them, it's just not as transparent as it could be).

Keep working on org structure and transparency, you are improving, keep doing so!

Other Reviews for Spotify

Working at spotify

Current Employee - College Spotfluencer  in  New Wilmington, PA
    Current Employee - College Spotfluencer in New Wilmington, PA

I have been working at Spotify as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Nice co workers
    Connected with people who love music like I do

Cons

No cons for this job

More communications with the employees

Greatest company I've worked for with a proven product and very awesome people with which to collaborate

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Spotify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Spotify is within the ideal company size range between a large, established brand and smaller, scrappier startup. You're free to take time off work to sit in on lunch and learns and other such knowledge sharing extracurricular activities/meetings but you still get to have a major influence over the product even as a new hire. Because of the Swedish culture influence you will not be ground down to ash by being overworked - it is not expected at all for one to be working at the office for greater than 8-9 hours a day - but excellence is still encouraged so going the extra mile if the individual can fit it in is met with high appreciation.

Cons

We don't have the resources of a larger company but we move slower than a startup so it can be frustrating when you see corners being cut due to time constraints or new and/or open source technologies being ignored just for the sake of building a lesser alternative in-house. We need to leverage the strengths of our developers so as to move more quickly instead of dogmatically sticking to a specific set of technologies which could very well be obsoleted within years.

Instead of trying to do everything let's leverage our lead in the music streaming space and focus on fewer but higher quality consumer-facing products/apps. It sucks to rush out things we aren't proud of making, only to rack up tech debt and need to do it over or figure out a hackish way of building on top of it the next quarter.

Furthermore we should fully embrace and leverage platforms built outside of the company, at least for the time being, to move more quickly with proven codebases instead of trying to reinvent the wheel internally.

There are newer employer reviews for Spotify.

Worked for Spotify? Contribute to the Community!