There are newer employer reviews for Sprint

what a great place to work!

Former Contractor - Seasonal Host in Cincinnati, OH
Former Contractor - Seasonal Host in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Sprint as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

love the environment and the people who work there!

Cons

bad customers and higher management made a few bad calls

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Sometimes change for the sake of change.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Sprint full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay and benifits for retail

Cons

It is hard to move from retail to corporate.

2. Great job, but things may be changing

I have been working at Sprint full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've loved working for Sprint for many years. Internally, the employees are sincere about turning the experience around for our customers. There are many interesting projects for individual contributors and a lot of good experience to be had. The company itself has been very good to me and I have worked with amazing people.

Cons

However, since the Nextel merger and the subsequent layoffs, salaries have been stagnant. There is not a lot of room to move up in IT unless you choose management, and even then, I've known too many people who moved into a management position without a real pay raise. I personally haven't seen a raise in a few years above 2.5% once. This is not uncommon. Current layoffs indicate that the merger with Softbank is all about the share price. IT is about to lose between 10-15% and even though the company says it's to align with our projects, the truth is that we have way more work to be done than resources as it is. I have no evidence, but do feel this year's layoffs are to stabilize share prices as Sprint Nextel becomes Sprint Corp with Softbank. Aside from this, Sprint is a telecom company and that legacy culture is affecting daily operations. In IT, some projects require 20-40 people on a conference call in what should be a simple design meeting. This is an indication of a lack of empowerment to employees who should be doing the initial project legwork. For example, a business analyst, which we have, should be able to research and write up requirements without having a full week of all-day meetings. This is only fixed by empowerment and improved development processes. Finally, a large part of IT services internal customers at Sprint, like retail store employees. However, those customers are never researched and designs are never tested before sending them out. Then there are months of fixes having to go into place because internal customers are not involved in testing prototypes, providing input, and taking surveys. This is sad because Sprint does with with consumer customers, but this lack of foresight probably causes so much internal rework that to quantify it would be scary.

Advice to Management

I wish Sprint the best, but I think I've hit the ceiling for my personal career growth and will sadly move on. I would recommend to lessen our dependence on IBM, who has continually provided Sprint with solutions, but they were poorly planned, developed, and implemented solutions that we have spent a lot of time re-writing. Laying off a chunk of IT to keep shareholders happy while we still allow IBM so much control of IT really isn't a good long term strategy. But I don't think anybody cares much beyond the current quarter anyway, so Sprint is really like everybody else these days.