There are newer employer reviews for Sprouts Farmers Market

A Lot of Broken Promises

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Fort Worth, TX
Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Sprouts Farmers Market part-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Flexible schedule
- Fair promotions
- Good pay rate
- Decent upper-management
- Good training
- Friendly coworkers
- You will learn a lot about health food, vitamins, grocery and retail operation
- Opportunity to cross-train

Cons

When I started, the store was weeks away from opening. Most of the employees were promised full-time positions which only lasted a couple months. Throughout the course of my employment, my hours went from 40 a week to roughly 10. This happened on a large scale and it was attributed to budget cuts. There were times management wouldn't want to turn the air conditioning on to save money. Employees were also promised accessible, cheap insurance after a lenghty six months (this was said to be, in large, the way the company could keep such a promise). However, because everyone except management were considered part-time employees, many weren't qualified. I was, at the time, and could not afford it. I started as a cashier and was promoted after a few months. The workload doubled, but I enjoyed the freedoms. However, as sales dropped, all department schedules were routinely cut. We went from working three employees at a time to just one. Between stocking the shelves, preparing food, cleaning all the work areas, and helping customers, something usually suffered. Management increasingly became strict about overtime. I eventually quit because I was making just about as much as I was spending on gas to get to work.

Advice to Management

Spend more time talking to employees and customers to find out what's working and what isn't. Try not to make promises you can't keep; employees understand there can be unforseen events but it's hard to be forgiving when promises routinely aren't kept. Try to find ways to be efficient without giving the employees more work than they can handle or the entire store tends to suffer.

reviews filtered by
  1. Okay

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at Sprouts Farmers Market full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly workers, job is not difficult, managers were also nice

Cons

Did not have great equipment to work with, did not get paid enough, all the food came in frozen :(

Advice to Management

You are doing okay i guess

A decent first job.

Former Employee - Alternative Service Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Alternative Service Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Sprouts Farmers Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

--Competitive, starting, wages
    --Opportunity for benefits
    --Occasional wage increase
    --Opportunity to move-up (albeit not by much)

Cons

--Becoming increasingly corporate and harsher on employees
    --Management puts much of the work on those getting paid the least
    --A lot of false advertisement. Sprouts passes many foods as "natural" and "sprouts country-kitchen cooked" when the produce is poor quality and the deli products actually all come out of boxes and bags. None of the stuff in the deli is prepared by Sprouts except for the rotisserie chickens, chicken salad, and salads.

Advice to Management

Do your own job and let your employees do theirs.

There are newer employer reviews for Sprouts Farmers Market