Sprouts Farmers Market

www.sprouts.com

Sprouts is a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Head Cashier  in  Murphy, TX
Current Employee - Head Cashier in Murphy, TX

Pros

Discount on products at the store.

Cons

Salary for hourly is to low

Need to raise hourly rate

Other reviews for Sprouts Farmers Market

Don't do it...

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

Pros

Easy & Mindless.
    Benefits.

That's pretty much it..

Cons

Look, I have worked in Management for over 5 years for this company. I have worked at multiple stores now as a department head and I can tell you every store I've been at is the same. You work your butt off, proving yourself to another new manager, to gain respect, to try and move up or earn that pittiful $.40 cent raise(if you are lucky) to have nothing ever come from it, The old manager who was lazy and didn't know how to do his job properly(and everyone in the store wonders why he has his job in the first place) moves to another store and then you get to deal with the same MALE manager of the same calibur all over again.

There are hardly any incentives to working here. Bonus's are sad, $100 if you are lucky (quarterly) 15% discount, employee appreciation days that you have to bring food to(potlucks, really?) No stock options!? We make you millions upon millions monthly and we cant get included in this? You have to pay for your own uniforms...sorry buddy, that freezer jacket you HAVE to wear because you are the dairy guy...well, that comes out of your OWN pocket.

Oh, if they transfer you...dont expect a raise, Yeah, those extra miles you are driving... Thats on you buddy.

Don't be a woman either, because only men move up. Sorry, this a boys club.

Learn what you're talking about. Learn about other departments. We shouldn't know more than you.

Be more respectful. Dont be so lazy. Have better follow through. Have answers for our questions. Actually get stuff done, nothing ever gets accomplished. Better communication.

GET ORGANIZED!

Growing Corporate Greed Damages the Workplace

Current Employee - Backup Scan Coordinator
    Current Employee - Backup Scan Coordinator

Pros

Best perk of working for this employer is the 15% discount all employees receive. It really helps cut your grocery bill.

Cons

Worst aspects of working for this employer:

Staffing is cut and hours are cut while workload continues to increase in all departments.

As this company rapidly expands the technology required to do all job functions has not expanded nor been updated (Office 2003, Windows Vista, Excel used for graphics work? Seriously?!) In-store equipment and the facilities themselves are not being updated or replaced to keep pace with need. Their corporate IT staff is equally overtaxed. You can expect to be frustrated by the inability to obtain equipment and materials necessary to perform basic job functions, whether it is properly calibrated POS machines at the registers, or functional handheld scanners in all departments (typically a store has less than half the number of scanners for the number of departments needing them).

Promotions within each store are not merit or time based, they are subjective and based purely on personal preference of management. I can say this as someone who actually has been promoted; I've seen over and over with my colleagues how qualifications and time spent in a position are overlooked in favor of someone whom the manager likes better--often someone from another store.

In this company's desire for explosive growth (the number of new stores they plan to open in the next five years continues to skyrocket) the need for both technological support and solid training of future management staff has been utterly left behind. They are quite proud of promoting people beyond their current ability level, claiming this will allow them to "grow into their new position." In reality this has created a culture of frustration and confusion with managers increasingly ill equipped and untrained to lead their staff.

At one time, this was a small family owned company with a healthy culture. Those years are sadly over.

Start with doing something basic, oh, like actually updating your corporate website's contact page. You list employees hired when a store opens, and years later--literally--those names are still listed, regardless of the fact that virtually none are still in the positions (often not even with the company any longer). This tells your employees (and the rest of the world who looks for store contact info) that you don't care in the least about the individuals working for you. It's not worth your time to provide a current list of each store's management.

Also, when you took the company public, leaving out the employees--providing no option for the rank and file to get in on the public offering through stock purchases (much less a way to get shares via their employment)--was really greedy. You sent a clear message to the rest of us: "You are here to make us money. We don't intend to help you benefit in the slightest from our monetary gain." Selfishness atop indifference sends a very bad message to your employees, and is no way to gain loyalty.

"Happy Monday" weekly cliche' ridden emails from CEO Doug Sanders do not help, they actually hurt the climate within each store. Between his feeble attempts to draw parallels between his affluent lifestyle and the work his employees do, and his laughable cheerleading in an effort to motivate employees to work even harder for the company's benefit, reading through them becomes an exercise in self restraint. It's a wonder more employees don't fire off an email blast "To Whom It May Concern" rant upon quitting.

Of course, many of us believe that this company's real goal is to make the company attractive to a buyer so Doug and the rest of upper management can cash in and move on. Good luck with that. Maybe someone will buy Sprouts who actually cares about the stores and the people who work in them.

There are newer employer reviews for Sprouts Farmers Market.

Worked for Sprouts Farmers Market? Contribute to the Community!