Best Internship I've ever had

Former Intern - Square U Representative in Palo Alto, CA
Former Intern - Square U Representative in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Square as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I got a ton of square gear and met many influential community business owner. Drove my entrepreneurial spirit to new heights. We had health benefits as interns and offered many other benefits since day 1.

Cons

Mainly worked on my own, no real face to face with square employees.

Advice to Management

Offer more internships in the SF Bay Area

Other Employee Reviews for Square

Young company and employees that is still learning and growing with a lot of promise.

Current Employee - Square U Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Square U Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Square part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's fun to work for a young innovative company that is growing and improving Work at your own pace Define your own hours and workspace Very social and open community

Cons

It's a young company with young employee's that are still wet behind the ears Supervisors are slow to respond to questions Management is slow to reward for a job well done

Advice to Management

Respond more quickly to employee's questions. Reward your employee's more visibly/publicly for a job well done.

Fast paced workplace full of nice over achievers working really hard.

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Everyone pursues excellence. - Everyone is masterful at their work. - Everyone is very intelligent and many are over achievers. - Numerous employees have founded companies previously. (Not just Jack!) - Everyone is committed to the success of the company. - Work is highly collaborative. - We felt a collective swell of pride at the Starbucks deal. - Everyone believes we're changing payments for the better. - The work environment is an open, noise filled space. You can find a promo video on squareup.com. - Communications are transparent across all teams. Meeting notes are available to everyone. - The work itself is challenging, fast paced, and frequently changing. - Leadership clearly communicates company goals and performance. - Underperformers are let go. - Confidential information is treated very seriously. - The hiring bar is high and many, many candidates are interviewed and rejected. - Teams joke around a lot, laugh a lot, and party together regularly. - Employee retention is very high. Few people leave. - Most people are upbeat and positive.

Cons

- Most employees work intensely for more than 10 hours a day. - 50 to 70 hours a week is normal. - Early stage employees tend to work very, very hard. - There's a culture of workaholism and significant peer pressure to work until "it's done". - Praise for an individual's good work is usually brief. The focus is on the team's success as a whole. - There's hero worship of Square's founders.

Advice to Management

Start encouraging people to rest. Your best people, especially your early employees, are repeatedly burned out. Make sure they take a proper break!