There are newer employer reviews for Square

Amazing opportunity for professional and personal growth

Current Employee - Security Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Security Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing environment, very talented peers, good compensation packages (equity heavy) and very rewarding work.

Cons

The company is growing really fast so sometimes there is the feeling of us being stretched too thin working on too many things at the same time.

More clarity around what the focus should be and what projects to cut would be beneficial for the company.

47 Other Employee Reviews for Square (View Most Recent)

An entrepreneur incubator with tons of room to grow

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

Pros

- This stuff matters : Square is working to make it easier for the small, indie coffee shops to exist and thrive. If you want to work on stuff that matters in a real way to real people, Square is certainly going to give you that.
    - Shared mission : We're working hard to make commerce easy, and everybody in the company feels this in their work.
    - Fantastic leadership : The senior leadership here at Square is extraordinary. They keep us looking forward while empowering people to stand up and make big decisions that affect the future of the company.
    - No ceiling : Your growth at Square is only limited by your own ambition. It's easy to move around the company and make an impact in whatever way you are able.
    - Great office space : I'm a sucker for good design, and this office exemplifies that. This place embodies the agile work methodology, allowing you to easily collaborate when you need to, while giving you plenty of quiet spots to get some heads-down work done.
    - Transparency : Any young entrepreneur should be chomping at the bit to work here. The opportunity to get an inside look at all of the financials and strategic decision-making at a company of this size cannot be overstated.

Cons

- Maintaining a good work-life balance is on you. There will never be a shortage of work, but there is definitely a culture of reasonable individual expectations.
    - Compensation is just a touch below market, but I feel this gap is more than adequately addressed via the equity that is offered.

- 401(k) matching, at this stage in the company's life, should be a given. I'm more or less baffled that this hasn't yet been addressed.
    - Transparency is so important to the success that this company has enjoyed. I'd argue that the pros to keeping our transparency alive even as we grow heavily outweigh the cons of the occasional leak. This is one of the reasons I decided to work here, so please don't take it away.

Best of both worlds

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

Square is the perfect balance between large, established company and fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants startup. It has the culture and energy of the latter and the perks and momentum of the former. Working with this many smart, passionate, well-meaning people is a true gift.

Cons

In the past things were a bit chaotic -- they still are, but we've gotten better at focus. We could still do more.

Letting poor performers go is hard. We need to learn to be better.

There are newer employer reviews for Square

Worked for Square? Contribute to the Community!