There are newer employer reviews for Square

Amazing opportunity for professional and personal growth

Current Employee - Security Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Security Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing environment, very talented peers, good compensation packages (equity heavy) and very rewarding work.

Cons

The company is growing really fast so sometimes there is the feeling of us being stretched too thin working on too many things at the same time.

Advice to Management

More clarity around what the focus should be and what projects to cut would be beneficial for the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Square

1. Smart people, meaningful product, fast growth

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Square's a great place to get your career started as a software engineer. There's a pretty high standard of code quality, good test coverage, great knowledge sharing (lots of pair programming), and it's still pretty easy to get your ideas on the table and find yourself in a position to build them out. The office is gorgeous, there are tons of perks (massage therapists & chiropractors onsite, coffee bar with baristas, cafeteria with a pizza oven for breakfast/lunch/dinner, etc), and the people are all super friendly & great to work with. The thing that really sets Square apart from others is that it both has soul as a company, and a viable business model. It's easy to see your work out in the real world, and feels validating to talk with people using the actual product.

Cons

We seem to go through an inordinate amount of re-orgs, though perhaps that's normal for a company that's growing as rapidly as Square has over the last few years. With the fast growth, it's easy to slip between the cracks, so you have to keep on your toes to move with the company.

Advice to Management

We put a lot of emphasis on "focus", but I'd challenge us to really think about what that means. It's difficult to focus in on product direction when the company is growing and changing at such a fast pace. We are doing too many things. Let's slow down, stop re-orging, and focus on the product.

2. An entrepreneur incubator with tons of room to grow

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- This stuff matters : Square is working to make it easier for the small, indie coffee shops to exist and thrive. If you want to work on stuff that matters in a real way to real people, Square is certainly going to give you that. - Shared mission : We're working hard to make commerce easy, and everybody in the company feels this in their work. - Fantastic leadership : The senior leadership here at Square is extraordinary. They keep us looking forward while empowering people to stand up and make big decisions that affect the future of the company. - No ceiling : Your growth at Square is only limited by your own ambition. It's easy to move around the company and make an impact in whatever way you are able. - Great office space : I'm a sucker for good design, and this office exemplifies that. This place embodies the agile work methodology, allowing you to easily collaborate when you need to, while giving you plenty of quiet spots to get some heads-down work done. - Transparency : Any young entrepreneur should be chomping at the bit to work here. The opportunity to get an inside look at all of the financials and strategic decision-making at a company of this size cannot be overstated.

Cons

- Maintaining a good work-life balance is on you. There will never be a shortage of work, but there is definitely a culture of reasonable individual expectations. - Compensation is just a touch below market, but I feel this gap is more than adequately addressed via the equity that is offered.

Advice to Management

- 401(k) matching, at this stage in the company's life, should be a given. I'm more or less baffled that this hasn't yet been addressed. - Transparency is so important to the success that this company has enjoyed. I'd argue that the pros to keeping our transparency alive even as we grow heavily outweigh the cons of the occasional leak. This is one of the reasons I decided to work here, so please don't take it away.