There are newer employer reviews for St. Edward's

I learned to think critically and act effectively.

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at St. Edward's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Gaining support within your academic community, making lasting connections with both students and faculty of the University, trying out various opportunities without having to commit in a long-term way

Cons

I really don't have any cons. Faculty is always willing to work with students' unique schedules. I do wish there had been more hours available to pick up, but I understand why there weren't.

Stream-lined time sheets would be extremely helpful.

35 Other Employee Reviews for St. Edward's (View Most Recent)

Great coworkers, beautiful campus. Hope to stay here a while.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at St. Edward's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The folks here (students, staff, faculty, UPD) are for the most part wonderful people and communicating between departments is easy. Faculty care about the students and are super accessible and generally friendly. There is a real sense of community here.

The university has 8 operating principles which employees actually put into practice every day. They are more than just policies on paper for the sake of having them, everyone here works with those principles in mind and they are prevalent throughout the culture of the university.

Great benefits and retirement plan. Plentiful vacation time PLUS paid university holidays ends up working out to about 4 weeks of paid time off per year. Flexible vacation time usage, at least in my department. There are plenty of incentives to stay here even if you aren't in love with your position.

I love coming to work every day at a beautiful campus with easy access to coffee and food. Squirrel population is thriving and the Holy Cross brothers on campus have a program to feed the feral cat population, which is nice.

Cons

There is a lack of communication about new developments from the higher ups and VPs. They will often make changes and/or create new programs (all good things!) without including the folks who will actually implement these things and make them function at the practical level. The result is that students are often the ones to suffer while the "kinks" are worked out, when serving the student/customer should be the top priority. Better advanced planning is needed.

The university was very vocal about the fact that they were not freezing salaries about a year ago as many other schools had to do. That all seemed great. Fast forward a few months from that announcement and there is a now a person who is essentially an efficiency "expert" making the rounds. People have been let go left and right over the past 8-10 months and cuts are still being made. Not huge layoffs when you look at other businesses making cuts, but many more than in previous years. It makes for tension and uncertainty in the air which was never apparent before.

Parking. This year the cost of a permit to park on campus is $204 and it comes out of your paycheck. Paying that much doesn't mean you will find a place anywhere near where you're going on campus. That's a very minor complaint, though.

Please keep the "little people" in the loop. You can't expect to provide students with great service unless the programs you create are administered correctly. I completely understand that it's your job to think "grand scheme" and achieve the goals of the strategic plan, but while achieving those goals please think about the students here currently.

I get that Banner is great and will change the way we do things, and I am looking forward to embracing that change. But please stop buying other bad 3rd party software without scrutinizing it carefully first (StarRez and TopperTime, I'm looking at you).

Great people, not much guidance for adjunct professors.

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Austin, TX

I worked at St. Edward's as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Staff, faculty and students are generally cooperative and friendly. Both campuses are very nice. Adjuncts are invited to staff training opportunities.

Cons

Taught four semesters without anyone from the college observing my class or giving me any kind of guidance or feedback.

A little more feedback would be very helpful.

There are newer employer reviews for St. Edward's