All for show....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tallahassee, FL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at St. Joe

Pros

When I started with St. Joe they were one of the top employers in the nation. Great 401k, pension, health, time off. Stock values where high, money was plentiful for projects. The feel of a perfect little communitiy was ever present.

Cons

Stock value dropped, hostile takeovers in upper management, the Disney inspired ruse was soon shattered by lack of capital. The housing market burst and it was over... I saw talented employees released without a second thought, it was everyone for themselves in the end.

If you own 3% of a State (estimated holdings of St. Joe), that does not mean you control the market. I was but a low person on the Joe "food chain", yet I knew going in that a couple barely making 75K a year should not be in a 500k home. Advice to Management? Stop thinking you control the market and believing you own BS. If someone had been paying attention to the market and not what Joe perported the market to be I would imagine the company would be in much better shape.

Other Reviews for St. Joe

Great Place to Work...Before the Downturn

I worked at St. Joe full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Before 2005, St. Joe was a great place to work. My imput on things that involved the sales department was always considered. The employees were great from the CEO to the cleaning staff, which fostered a wonderful corporate culture. The salary and benefits were above industry standards and upper management gave clear direction without micro-managing.

Cons

Post 2004, things became very tense. There were several downsizing events that were hugely damaging to morale. There was no job security and management was not trusted.

In the past 3 years there has been a hugh shakeup with the company. Upper management and most of the board of directors has changed.

I would advise the new executive managers to keep customer satisfaction and employee morale a driving factor in policy decisions.

Great Learning Experience

Former Employee - Manager  in  Santa Rosa Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Santa Rosa Beach, FL

I worked at St. Joe full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, beautiful job setting.

Cons

Management personnel are always changing. No consistency.

Manage and coach your people.

There are newer employer reviews for St. Joe.

Worked for St. Joe? Contribute to the Community!