Went Downhill

Former Employee - Information Technology in Anaheim, CA
Former Employee - Information Technology in Anaheim, CA

I worked at St. Joseph Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. Most were really sharp and eager to assist. I really believe in the overall mission of the health system. Interaction with the Sister's and understanding what they had accomplished was great. Overall compensation was good. Lots of training opportunities and good retirement benefits.

Cons

Management has no clue what they are doing. Direction changes and failed implementations are par for the course. The new CIO is clueless on how to run an organization.

Other Employee Reviews for St. Joseph Health System

1. Love my job

Current Employee - Research Coordinator in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Research Coordinator in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love my patients and having the time to get know each one of them.

Cons

Too much regulatory paperword

Advice to Management

Invest in process to minimize time writing out paperwork.

Information Technology

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Orange, CA

I worked at St. Joseph Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The salary was generous. If you're a senior member of the team with the right management, they will pay for training and certification. Easy to get time off when you need it.

Cons

No loyalty, Crazy Politics, Very poor IT Management, Poor IT Project Management. The IT organization is highly reactive, rather than proactive. Too many junior level engineers plugging holes, rather than utilizing influence to standardize and improve implementations/optimizations. Most members of IT don't have any long-term vision. Many IT Consultants (Blue Mountain Labs, Datu Health, Local Back Haul) are partially owned by the CIO (Bill Russell), but the CEO (Debra Proctor) allows it based on their personal friendship. Apparently, they have a personal relationship ($$$) that condones unethical behavior. During my tenure, it was very difficult to have challenging conversations even with difficult/challenging people. Accomplishing projects is almost unheard of due to the number of hoops that PM's and IT staff need to jump through to complete their work. The most difficult challenge was replying on junior engineers to accomplish tasks with a certain level of integrity. IT management cares more about project timelines than implementing high-quality solutions. IT Site directors do not make decisions in alignment with any particular IT standard, they simply do what they want for their individual hospital regardless of the long-term inconsistencies that it creates. Overall, it's a very chaotic environment to work for. Unless you're making 175+ per year, it's not worth the time or effort.

Advice to Management

I would strongly recommend replacing the CIO and CEO of this organization. While SJHS preaches that they follow a Christian culture, the sisters are no longer in charge of the organization, therefore, the values are no longer catholic based and enforced, they are corporate values, but under very poor leadership.