St. Jude Medical

www.sjm.com
There are newer employer reviews for St. Jude Medical

Rewarding work and great team

I have been working at St. Jude Medical full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Interesting products and awesome team environment

Cons

Medical device companies are having to navigate a challenging regulatory environment

335 Other Employee Reviews for St. Jude Medical (View Most Recent)

Seemingly good once, shedding quality and established staff at a rate on Knots

Former Employee - Territory Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at St. Jude Medical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Heritage, Some passionate people, nice size (but getting smaller by the day), some opportunity in all the the changes if you can hang on and deal with the management. Interesting pipeline of products.

Cons

Terrible management - St Jude went from small to pretty big for a pacing firm in a few years,and it shows. No one there can operate a business of that size and complexity effectively. I have worked for some big players in the Healthcare market, and know what that should look and feel like. Not here. Amateur hour.

There is a real sense of firefighting everything, and mortgaging business now and to hell with the future. This leads to short term thinking and poor customer and staff satisfaction. I think the attitude of the management was very macho BS. with a quote being 'well, if you don't pull the number in whatever, you won't be her to worry about it', hence the shoddy mortgaging practices.

Morale was low when I left, worse now with long serving staff leaving. They have basically cannibalised what made them good. In my judgement they were living like a company from the early 2000's - all big conferences and ra ra team building, borderline illegal and certainly immoral employee relations. I bet that they wish they hadn't spent all that money now they are having to lay off staff. No prudence

I could go on but to me it was a lesson on how not to run a business

Not that they would listen. Sort your IT. Sort your strategy - find your roots again. Keep unnecessary spending down (I suppose you do now by sacking key staff), think mid-long term and rebuild, and don't believe your own hype -A bit of humility goes a long way. keep the very good management from AGA and shelve the team that has grown with SJM - they cannot do the job properly.

Do not anticipate a Long career - fine if you're looking for 4-5 years experience.

Former Employee - Field Clinical Engineer
    Former Employee - Field Clinical Engineer

I worked at St. Jude Medical full-time

Pros

The company possesses a sound technology platform and has a strong sales support and depth of field experience. Growing technology portfolio. Good employee salary and benefits.

Cons

Poorly developed business plans. Promote clinical directors/etc. based on sales oriented model - not guaranteeing clinical study success - not equivalent models. Poor research initiative. Too frequently miss end points due to under-sizing study cohort or under powering study. Clinical depth sorely lacking - limited experience in department - in-house and field-based. Recent reduction in force targeted employees with 5-10 years or more of service using little regard for anything other than cutting business overhead.

Take a hard look at the former sales managers you now have managing your clinical division. Success of subordinates does not equate to successful management when subordinates are strong, ambitious, independent performers. Employing the sales model ("you're only as good as your last quarter") in research is not necessarily a good idea.

There are newer employer reviews for St. Jude Medical