There are newer employer reviews for Standard Life

It's a good company to work for, at the forefront of change and always ensuring it performs more than what is expected.

Current Employee - Finance Administrator in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
Current Employee - Finance Administrator in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Standard Life full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Rated at giving equal opportunities and understanding of staff's needs.

Cons

No 'against' comment to make.

Advice to Management

Nothing to comment on this.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A well created business with great employees

I have been working at Standard Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most departments have fun and hard working employees. Standard Life also cares greatly about you as an individual. Management is very approachable and the company has lots of events.

Cons

Sometimes, management does not see talent internally and looks elsewhere. Also, it would be great to get more detailed information about what options are available to invest in and the benefits of working at SL.

Advice to Management

Age is not a factor for some departments. If an employee adds value to the company, they should be recognized.

Its a really nice place to work but not sure how long we'll all be there

Current Employee - Systems Developer in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Systems Developer in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Standard Life full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Staff seem to be well motivated and have high standards generally with reasonable morale.
    Opportunites are always given to suggest improvements and try new ideas.
    Great teamwork, respect for others and friendly atmosphere.
    Staff do feel appreciated by their day to day managers if maybe not strategically.
    Remuneration is good.

Cons

Company is in process of outsourcing so there are fears amongst staff about redundancy. Despite this morale is reasonably high although senior management is treatly slightly suspiciously because of this.
    Advancement opportunities seem limited although they do make efforts to give opportunities to reward hard work and skills.
    Training is rare at present.

Advice to Management

They should look at their staff. They are open to change, hard working and inventive.They have in depth system knowledge which will be hard to replicate in outsourced staff due to their high turnover and outsourcers location makes it difficult to talk eye to eye with the customer. They have great trust from the business which will be hard to reproduce.
    Despite permnanent staffs reservations about outsourcing they are very engaged to ensure systems maintain standards and quality is maintained. Improvements do need to be made in some processes - bonus evaluation is a huge burden on staff/project time, meetings should be reduced, but generally as a developer I get to develop a lot of my time and that makes me happy. I agree with David Nish's comments about some older staff being entrenched and hard to change but personally I am always keen to take on new ideas and I have been there since the mid 90's. Its not the same company and that isn't a bad thing! However I think the quality of staff compared to some other sites I have worked at is very high and this should always be remembered. I enjoy working at SL and would be happy to remain there for the foreseeable future, but I am worried I should jump ship and find something else before we all get turfed overboard and the market is flooded.