Standard Life

www.standardlife.com
  www.standardlife.com
There are newer employer reviews for Standard Life

It's a good company to work for, at the forefront of change and always ensuring it performs more than what is expected.

Current Employee - Finance Administrator in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
Current Employee - Finance Administrator in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Standard Life full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Rated at giving equal opportunities and understanding of staff's needs.

Cons

No 'against' comment to make.

Nothing to comment on this.

49 Other Employee Reviews for Standard Life (View Most Recent)

Its a really nice place to work but not sure how long we'll all be there

Current Employee - Systems Developer in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Systems Developer in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Standard Life full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Staff seem to be well motivated and have high standards generally with reasonable morale.
    Opportunites are always given to suggest improvements and try new ideas.
    Great teamwork, respect for others and friendly atmosphere.
    Staff do feel appreciated by their day to day managers if maybe not strategically.
    Remuneration is good.

Cons

Company is in process of outsourcing so there are fears amongst staff about redundancy. Despite this morale is reasonably high although senior management is treatly slightly suspiciously because of this.
    Advancement opportunities seem limited although they do make efforts to give opportunities to reward hard work and skills.
    Training is rare at present.

They should look at their staff. They are open to change, hard working and inventive.They have in depth system knowledge which will be hard to replicate in outsourced staff due to their high turnover and outsourcers location makes it difficult to talk eye to eye with the customer. They have great trust from the business which will be hard to reproduce.
    Despite permnanent staffs reservations about outsourcing they are very engaged to ensure systems maintain standards and quality is maintained. Improvements do need to be made in some processes - bonus evaluation is a huge burden on staff/project time, meetings should be reduced, but generally as a developer I get to develop a lot of my time and that makes me happy. I agree with David Nish's comments about some older staff being entrenched and hard to change but personally I am always keen to take on new ideas and I have been there since the mid 90's. Its not the same company and that isn't a bad thing! However I think the quality of staff compared to some other sites I have worked at is very high and this should always be remembered. I enjoy working at SL and would be happy to remain there for the foreseeable future, but I am worried I should jump ship and find something else before we all get turfed overboard and the market is flooded.

One of the best employers in the UK - fun place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Standard Life

Pros

Best professional experience ever thus far in my career. Extremely bright, hardworking people who are keen on helping others, sharing information, and providing mentorship to junior associates. Strong culture of promoting a work-life balance, though it's not uncommon for top managers to work 11+ hour days. Secondments are a brilliant way of retaining talent, while encouraging cross pollination of associates across divisions. High degree of internationalism within the workforce and international business travel is not uncommon in certain areas of the company. Nice canteen with a Starbucks to fuel employees throughout the day. Management easily accessible and approachable, including its executive leadership. All-around, a great place to be and a name you'd proudly have on the CV.

Cons

Office renovations can't be finished soon enough - the bathrooms are antiquated, if not downright scary. Lighting is dim on most of the floors, and the lack of assigned seating in some areas is a bit of a nuisance, considering this is the HQ of a global company with oodles of assets. Meetings are used overzealously, when a quick phone call or a sametime message will suffice.

Some of the older & senior employees are absolute nightmares to work with. Highly bureaucratic at times and it's not uncommon for voicemail messages, emails, and notes left with the secretary to go unanswered. A few days is understandable. Multiple attempts over a 4-month period without appropriate action is ridiculous. Performance incentives and reviews should be opportunities for top-management to push-down/reinforce its vision of teamwork and acceptable/unacceptable behaviour.

There are newer employer reviews for Standard Life